Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

0 members and 3,221 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

How to set up an egg tub

Printable View

• 07-24-2008, 11:00 PM
    frankykeno
    Re: How to set up an egg tub
    The way I test the vermic/perlite mixture is to squeeze it like Heather says and make sure no water drips out and it condenses like that but when you poke it, it immediately collapses. That seems to be the just right amount of moisture. You'll get a real workout mixing the dry mix then adding the water. You need to mix and mix and if you think you're done, mix some more LOL. I think that step can't be overstated since you want the water you add completely and evenly incorporated into the dry mixture.

Just to add to your excellent write up Heather here's a couple of pictures of clutches set up in a vermiculite/perlite mixture like yours.....

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ox03-29-08.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ox03-15-08.jpg
  • 07-24-2008, 11:02 PM
    frankykeno
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    What's the purpose of the cling wrap?

It helps keep the humidity in with the eggs without a lot of condensation dripping down on them. We air our eggs by removing the lid and lifting a corner of the cling wrap about every 3 to 5 days. Once they hit day 45 we remove the cling wrap all together and just pop the lid every day for a few seconds to air them (you'll see a lot more condensation developing at this point as they approach their hatching date).
  • 07-24-2008, 11:15 PM
    Dave763
    If you use the light grate on top of the subsrate you can add a lot of water to it. This way you will never have to worry about a to wet or to dry subtrate.I use 6qt tubs with press and seal.The eggs are never in contact with the substrate. The humidity levels stay at or near 100% because of the large amount of water in the substrate.
    http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...tch15-7-08.jpg
    http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...3/babypic2.jpg
  • 07-24-2008, 11:26 PM
    sho220
    I used Hatch-rite straight out of the bag and it worked great...:)
  • 07-25-2008, 06:11 AM
    rabernet
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    I used Hatch-rite straight out of the bag and it worked great...:)

I did as well, and love Hatchrite, and will continue to use it. This post is still excellent for those who decide they'd rather use vermiculite/perlite! :gj:
  • 07-25-2008, 07:57 AM
    Wh00h0069
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    I did as well, and love Hatchrite, and will continue to use it. This post is still excellent for those who decide they'd rather use vermiculite/perlite! :gj:

I also used Hatch-Rite and it worked great.
  • 07-25-2008, 10:51 AM
    Dave763
    Hatchrite here too. Although I bet just water alone would work just fine,as long as the eggs were not in direct contact with the water.
    Temp and humidity are the key factors. The air in the egg box will hold x amount of water at say 89f. No more. Once this point of saturation is reached, thats it,you're there.
    If the eggs are not in contact with a substrate there is no chance of drying out the eggs from to dry a mix,or even worse getting it to wet and rotting the eggs.

Just my .02 cents
  • 07-25-2008, 10:59 AM
    Kesslers Kreatures
    Great post heather... Ill have to remember this... But when i start breeding i'll be calling you and having you come help lol
  • 07-25-2008, 11:10 AM
    ADEE
    Where can you get hatchrite?
  • 07-25-2008, 11:20 AM
    LadyOhh
    Hatchrite is sold online by several suppliers, but the original person who markets it is Alex Hue. :)