Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,133

2 members and 3,131 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

breeding questions

Printable View

• 11-09-2004, 02:17 PM
    Shaun J
    is it easy to breed crested geckos?
  • 11-09-2004, 02:37 PM
    Schlyne
    I believe it's pretty easy to breed them. Marla would have all the hands on experience. They're pretty profile breeders, but if the females lay too many eggs in a season, they can crash from lack of calcium and die very quickly.

I plan on trying to breed them.
  • 11-09-2004, 03:52 PM
    Marla
    Vaughn and Robert have more breeding experience than I do, but I'd have to say they're a pretty easy species to breed. You need to make sure that you're feeding appropriately, especially to make sure your females are getting enough calcium and protein. You may also need to experiment a bit to find what lighting, temperatures, enclosure size, etc. seems to make them happy.
  • 11-09-2004, 03:54 PM
    Shaun J
    im not goin to do this anytime in the near future,i just was wondering.
  • 11-09-2004, 04:00 PM
    Schlyne
    Sorry Robert and Vaughn, I keep thinking of Marla as the Crestie Queen, since she's answered so many of the posts on the topic :)
  • 11-09-2004, 05:44 PM
    kavmon
    marla hit everything, i cool down my pairs slightly in the winter (now) just 5-8 deg. low 70's and pair them up around new years.
    just watch the males and make sure they aren't too rough on the females or vie versa. i normally leave my male with 2 or 3 girls for around 3-6 months then i seperate. after the first month together start checking for eggs, make sure the female is big enough (35 grams) and is not looking weak from breeding or egglaying and well fed. breeding and incubating is pretty easy females can lay 10-12 eggs a year, i like to only get around 8. i don't want to stress them out or deplete their calcium levels.

vaughn
  • 11-10-2004, 09:51 PM
    RobertCoombs
    Breeding is certainly rather easy I give mine about a 3-4 month cooling period .I only house pairs together simply because I like to know what eggs came from where and I have a greater genetically diverse group.
    Raising young can be a bit tricky stuck sheds are an almost certain death or dismemberment so humidity and conditions must be right in order for them to thrive