Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,229

1 members and 3,228 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 09-01-2016, 09:07 PM
    bivman
    Super Bummed had to get rid of 3 Good colonies
    I was raising ASF's at a local pet store. I would let them sell what I didn't need and also get regular rats at cost, They chewed out of the tub and 2 got out so the Manager made me get them out of the store. Wife wouldn't let me keep them in the garage, so I had to euthanize 3 colonies and a bunch of hoppers and pinks and freeze them. Its going to suck having to pay for rats again, I guess I'll switch to regular and buy frozen.
  • 09-01-2016, 10:03 PM
    piedlover79
    That sucks! ASF are famous for chewing through just about anything!
  • 09-01-2016, 10:05 PM
    Oxylepy
    Re: Super Bummed had to get rid of 3 Good colonies
    Careful with asfs, often snakes will be reluctant to swap back.

I seem to recall that the advice for asfs was that the tub they are kept in should be entirely smooth inside, and you should avoid any holes in the walls, or means of them climbing up. They're a heck of a rodent to need such caution in keeping them.

Hopefully the f/t ones last you a while. Sorry about your loss, the garage would have been a fine place, but I can imagine after one escape that she would be reluctant to let you keep them.
  • 09-23-2019, 02:02 AM
    RandyRemington
    Concrete mixing tubs with 1/4 inch wire tight on top. For a while one of the hardware stores carried tubs with oversized hanging holes on the lip but the ones I've seen lately are covered by a tight lid.
  • 09-23-2019, 02:40 AM
    Bogertophis
    Re: Super Bummed had to get rid of 3 Good colonies
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyRemington View Post
    Concrete mixing tubs with 1/4 inch wire tight on top. For a while one of the hardware stores carried tubs with oversized hanging holes on the lip but the ones I've seen lately are covered by a tight lid.

Psst...good advice but it's a 3 year-old thread, lol...I think they've moved on by now. ;)