Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,171

2 members and 3,169 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
  • 09-30-2009, 09:14 PM
    ksaul
    Re: Tank Screen Top Foil Treatment Tutorial
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    The foil serves the purpose of reflecting the heat back down into the tank. :) Also, unless it was clear duct tape I can't think of any clear tape that would hold up and stay stuck.

And typically, the vent opening is over the hot side. :)

going to do this tomorrow! thank you!!
  • 12-01-2009, 04:18 PM
    vjb
    Thanks for posting this. I did exactly this last night after failing to get my humidity up in my glass/mesh top aquarium. Works like a charm. :partyon:
  • 02-12-2010, 12:09 AM
    musicalKeyes
    I just did this and it works brilliantly, thanks! I did one thing different though; I used that foil duct tape around the lamps (I have to use a lamp to keep up ambient temps) instead of the regular duct tape. It handles heat much better :)
  • 02-12-2010, 03:14 AM
    Argentra
    I'm glad this is helping so many folks. :) :gj:
  • 02-23-2010, 12:56 PM
    BP-180
    hi would it be be okay to use black electrical tape instead of duct tape and also i have to use a heat lamp to keepo temps up so if i just cut a hole the size of the heat lamp would that be okay or would i burn the house down ha

thanks
  • 02-24-2010, 02:58 PM
    Argentra
    Believe it or not, electrical tape doesn't hold as well as the duct tape. :) You could try it, but be prepared to replace the tape.

Also, you could just set the lamp over the 'air hole' already there. That way you're not cutting more holes (which messes with humidity and temps). Having the lamp hover a few inches over the opening allows for air and heat together.

Just curious, why do you need a heat lamp to keep temps up?
  • 02-24-2010, 05:16 PM
    BP-180
    Well i get the tape for free tats why i wanted to use it ha but i like tat idea of it hovering the lamp i think ill try tat.

Oh and to answer your question i live in ireland and its very cold here this time of year so if i dont have the lamp the temps do be around the 60-70 mark but i only use a 40w heat lamp and that brings the temps up to around 80-85

thanks
  • 02-25-2010, 04:30 PM
    strangefamous
    WOW! this is so awesome! I love these forums. So many helpful people.:banana: I have a nice little project ahead of me tonight now ;)
  • 09-08-2010, 11:31 PM
    ericzerka24
    I just read this yesterday and decided to improvise a tad.

Instead of regular aluminum foil, I had a roll of aluminum foil tape left over from my snake rack. I covered the top except for where the light is and a little area for ventalization. All I have to say is WOW. I have tried putting damp towels over the top, daily misting, larger water bowls, etc.... and nothing really worked. I have always been completely against glass aquariums but this completely changed my thoughts. Thank you!
  • 09-09-2010, 05:16 AM
    dr del
    Hi,

Just to double check - you did make sure that the top isn't sticky from underneath ( where the snake is ) didn't you? :worry:

That foil tape is verrrrry sticky stuff. :(

dr del