Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,406

5 members and 3,401 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

How to breed mealworms

Printable View

• 06-20-2005, 04:47 PM
    Brandon.O
    How to breed mealworms
    Hey guys, im doing a science project on mealworms, i dont know what im supposed to be doing with them but all of the sudden im curious about breeding them for the birds outside.

What do i do ?
  • 06-20-2005, 05:45 PM
    Smulkin
    Re: How to breed mealworms
    I've got no experience in that field myself - but if no one else does google

Quote:

+"breeding mealworms"
  • 06-20-2005, 06:58 PM
    Python-77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smulkin
    I've got no experience in that field myself - but if no one else does google

Yahoo search works well to--Here is what I found in a quick search I am going to start this tonight and see how things turn out in the next couple weeks. These large beetles may make a nice snack food for my Savannahs. (after they lay there eggs of course)

http://www.icomm.ca/dragon/mealworm.htm
  • 06-20-2005, 10:22 PM
    Shelby
    It's EASY. I have mine in shallow plastic drawers. Give them a couple inches of oats/cherrios/puffed rice/wheat etc etc. I give them the same food mix that my mice and rats get.

Put a moistened paper towel in for them to drink from. Don't put this on top of the food because it will mold. Re-wetten the towel every other day. You can also use fresh fruits/veggies, but I'm too lazy for that.

Add mealworms. The more the better. From hatching to pupae stage is 3 months. Pet store bought mealies should take a week or two to pupate. Remove pupae daily to a separate small container for the two weeks it takes for them to metamorphose into beetles. The beetles can be put back with the mealies. Just wait awhile and eventually you'll see tiny baby mealworms.

That's it.
  • 06-22-2005, 02:46 PM
    Brandon.O
    Thanks shelby !

Can i keep them outside or do they need to be kept cool ?
  • 06-23-2005, 03:26 AM
    Shelby
    You don't want to roast them. I just keep mine at room temperature. I wouldn't go much above 80 degrees.