Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,250

3 members and 3,247 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Hello there

Printable View

• 05-29-2021, 01:26 AM
    Daniacat
    Hello there
    I'm one of those people who's both fascinated by and freaked out by snakes. Mom doesn't like them while my dad did. I figure the best way to help myself is to learn as much as I can. I grow up with Siamese cats though lost them to old age. I currently have a 10 gallon tank with a betta in it. Helios the platinum delta tail. Will be adding cory cats later on. The closest allowed to snakes at the moment will be kuhli loaches when my 20 gallon is set up and mature enough.
  • 05-29-2021, 02:22 AM
    KMG
    Howdy!

No real reason to fear a Ball Python. A bite is like getting scratched by Velcro. I've never seen anything die from it.

Some others snakes certainly have better equipment worth fearing..... Don't start with one of those.
  • 05-29-2021, 04:48 AM
    Ascended
    Hi And :welcome:
    You have come to the right place to learn about snakes.
  • 05-29-2021, 11:32 AM
    Bogertophis
    Re: Hello there
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniacat View Post
    I'm one of those people who's both fascinated by and freaked out by snakes...

I predict that knowledge will replace your fear in time. ;) Remember that we're expecting snakes to trust US (& not bite in fear) yet to them, we appear to be a HUGE predator. It's a 2-way street, getting to know & understand a snake- remember they're shy souls that do not want to bite us at all, so if we don't push them to defend themselves, (or confuse them & get in their way at feeding time) it's quite easy to avoid most bites. It mostly takes empathy on our part-& remember snakes don't identify things just on vision alone, as we do. To them, a moving creature is either a predator or prey, without more cues from touch, scent & temperature. How you touch a snake tells them a lot about your intentions, & the better you get at reading their body language & keeping them calm- feeling safe with you, the more you'll see they do have a subtle personality that's worth knowing. :snake: Welcome.
  • 05-29-2021, 11:41 AM
    Daniacat
    Thanks all.