Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,218

0 members and 3,218 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Wireless Acurites?

Printable View

• 08-08-2018, 11:43 PM
    alittleFREE
    Wireless Acurites?
    Anyone have experience with the wireless AcuRite thermometers/hygrometers, of this nature? I've been using these puppies for like 15 years... but I'd love to not have to have a bulky thermometer and a bundle of wires in my enclosures and just put a wireless probe in to measure the humidity/ambient temp since I check surface temps with temp guns anyway. Obviously, though, I don't want to sacrifice the accuracy.

Just wondering if anyone has tried the newfangled technology and tested them against their wired relatives?
  • 08-09-2018, 12:28 AM
    WhompingWillow
    Re: Wireless Acurites?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alittleFREE View Post
    Anyone have experience with the wireless AcuRite thermometers/hygrometers, of this nature? I've been using these puppies for like 15 years... but I'd love to not have to have a bulky thermometer and a bundle of wires in my enclosures and just put a wireless probe in to measure the humidity/ambient temp since I check surface temps with temp guns anyway. Obviously, though, I don't want to sacrifice the accuracy.

Just wondering if anyone has tried the newfangled technology and tested them against their wired relatives?

I know a bunch of people on this forum use the wireless ones, myself included. Cheapest place by me is Walmart, they're about $8-9 each: https://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-D...00325/16888914
  • 08-09-2018, 01:23 AM
    Sallysmom
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    I know a bunch of people on this forum use the wireless ones, myself included. Cheapest place by me is Walmart, they're about $8-9 each: https://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-D...00325/16888914

Oh nice! Just ordered one. I’ve been struggling with the ugliness of all the cables that have to go into my tank. Still gotta keep the UTH thermostat probe cable in unless there is a wireless one out there?
  • 08-09-2018, 01:37 AM
    Sunnieskys
    Quote:

I use this too.
  • 08-09-2018, 07:14 AM
    Craiga 01453
    I use the wireless Accurites in all my enclosures.
  • 08-09-2018, 08:52 AM
    ckuhn003
    Quote:

Curious if anyone secures this type of wireless thermometer? I have one and it's always getting knocked over.
  • 08-09-2018, 09:05 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Curious if anyone secures this type of wireless thermometer? I have one and it's always getting knocked over.

Mine get knocked over all the time. Even little Cosmo knocks them over and he's a 70 gram hognose, hahaha.
    I have tried placing them strategically and using hides, rocks, etc... to hold them up. It helps, but they still get knocked over.
  • 08-09-2018, 09:16 AM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Mine get knocked over all the time. Even little Cosmo knocks them over and he's a 70 gram hognose, hahaha.
    I have tried placing them strategically and using hides, rocks, etc... to hold them up. It helps, but they still get knocked over.

So these 'wireless' ones ... they look like the old fashioned stand alone ones !?!?

So presumably they have a separate 'wireless' probe hence the name ??

If they are just stand alone ones with no probe I don't see how they can be giving accurate surface temps as the sensor will be a few inches off the ground ??!

Am I missing something here ??

I've used the free standing ones to give ambient temps ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • 08-09-2018, 09:17 AM
    Zincubus
    So these 'wireless' ones ... they look like the old fashioned stand alone ones !?!?

So presumably they have a separate 'wireless' probe hence the name ??

If they are just stand alone ones with no probe I don't see how they can be giving accurate surface temps as the sensor will be a few inches off the ground ??!

Am I missing something here ??

I've used the free standing ones to give ambient temps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • 08-09-2018, 09:20 AM
    Avsha531
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post

I hot glue gun magnets to the back wall of the tank and mount them on there. A snake will pull one down from time to time but pretty easy to put them back up

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk