Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,387

5 members and 3,382 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Bigger Beginner Snakes?

Printable View

• 06-26-2017, 04:55 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    Re: Bigger Beginner Snakes?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    Does your Bull eat rats?

They sure do. All of my snakes eat rats. :snake:
  • 06-26-2017, 05:13 PM
    Prognathodon
    Woma pythons are considered a great beginner snake in Australia. They're less so in N. America, I think mostly because they aren't is common as BPs, so they're more expensive. They're not as heavy-bodied as a BP, more like a colubrid or the other Australian pythons.

I have a juvenile woma, he's a great little guy. His feed response isn't as strong as some womas (he'll usually consider his dinner for a couple/few seconds before striking and coiling), and he's a sweetheart to handle.

If you like carpet pythons, I would say that you probably want to see what the snake's personality is like before buying, and/or buy from a trusted breeder if you can't, since it would be your first snake. And at the same time, definitely don't be intimidated by nippy babies - any/all species of snake can be that way. I have a Jungle Carpet Python, an Irian Jaya Carpet Python, and a Bredli. The Bredli is insanely head-shy, which can make her a challenge to handle, especially now that she's over 7' long. The JCP was nippy as a youngster, but has settled down nicely. The IJCP has been a sweetheart since I got him as a baby a couple-few months ago, I'd call him puppy-dog tame, and I don't expect that to change.

Some people have had trouble switching carpets from mice to rats, but my Bredli and JCP are our garbage disposal snakes. I suspect the IJCP is too, I just haven't offered him anything but rats yet, since he was already on rat pups when I got him, and I'm not sure he's quite big enough for rabbit kits yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • 06-26-2017, 05:27 PM
    BallPythonWannaBe
    I really like Bulls and Womas,especially about how they are bigger but they arnt giant
  • 06-26-2017, 06:30 PM
    BallPythonWannaBe
    I don't like how much more expensive Womas are compared to Bulls:sigh2:
  • 06-26-2017, 11:20 PM
    BallPythonWannaBe
    Bulls
    I really like the Albino Bull Snakes :) I might go with a Normal though
  • 06-26-2017, 11:53 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    Re: Bulls
    Quote:

I really like the Albino Bull Snakes :) I might go with a Normal though

You can't beat a nice normal bull. I've seen some amazing normals. I really like the axanthic white sided, patternless, yellow, and Kingsville Red bulls too. There's quite a few awesome morphs to choose from. Now you've got me thinking about adding another one. :)
  • 06-27-2017, 12:13 AM
    Gio
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    I think carpets and bulls are great beginner snakes. Those are two of my favorite snake species :). Some can be a little nippy when they're young but most settle down pretty quickly. They're both pretty easy to care for but like you said, bulls are pretty fool proof. Low-mid 80's for a hot spot and ambient temps are perfect for the cool side. If you want a larger carpet you should look into Coastals or Bredli. I love carpets for their semi-arboreal tendencies but you do have to keep them a bit warmer than colubrids. Either species would make a great beginner snake IMO. Best wishes with whatever you choose.

My female bull will be 4 in September. She was 42g when I got her. She's easily 3kg now.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...pshndp3itp.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...psd4wkxvhv.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...psdgmhhfhn.jpg

My male Coastal Carpet just turned 3. He was 85g when I got him as a yearling. He's a little over 2kg now.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...psn8gu95gc.jpg

You all look great Zig!
    Great post!
  • 06-27-2017, 12:36 AM
    dkatz4
    is a boa larger than you want? They have similar husbandry requirements as a bp but are larger and more active, though not as active as colubrids.
  • 06-27-2017, 07:55 AM
    BallPythonWannaBe
    I would love a boa,like a Hog Island or a Durmeils,or even a Boa Constricter. But my mother...She thought a Ball Python could kill you :snake: So I feel like the size combined with the name "Boa" will be too much for her. Although a male Durmeils.....Maybe? I'm not actually sure how big the male's get
  • 06-27-2017, 11:03 AM
    bcr229
    Quote:

I would love a boa,like a Hog Island or a Durmeils,or even a Boa Constricter. But my mother...She thought a Ball Python could kill you :snake: So I feel like the size combined with the name "Boa" will be too much for her. Although a male Durmeils.....Maybe? I'm not actually sure how big the male's get

Male Dum's don't get too long, about 6-7 feet, but they are very thick and strong snakes.