Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,352

4 members and 3,348 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
  • 08-01-2020, 12:23 PM
    Caitlin
    I love your grandma's idea! I am not a seamstress, but if it helps at all, the snake cozys I have had such great success with are made from a material called 'minky'. I think the circular entrance may just be an embroidery hoop, since those come in a variety of sizes and they are fairly flexible. They look like they'd be pretty easy to make, though friends of mine who are into crafting have mentioned that 'minky' can be challenging to work with since it's so soft/velvety. I've been meaning to post about the snake cozys here. I originally thought they sounded silly, but the nearly unanimous and very enthusiastic response to them by almost all of my snakes has convinced me they are really worth having around for anyone working with nervous snakes or anyone interested in enrichment.
  • 08-01-2020, 11:23 PM
    Namea
    Re: A tricky rehab, help and advice much appreciated!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    I love your grandma's idea! I am not a seamstress, but if it helps at all, the snake cozys I have had such great success with are made from a material called 'minky'. I think the circular entrance may just be an embroidery hoop, since those come in a variety of sizes and they are fairly flexible. They look like they'd be pretty easy to make, though friends of mine who are into crafting have mentioned that 'minky' can be challenging to work with since it's so soft/velvety. I've been meaning to post about the snake cozys here. I originally thought they sounded silly, but the nearly unanimous and very enthusiastic response to them by almost all of my snakes has convinced me they are really worth having around for anyone working with nervous snakes or anyone interested in enrichment.

My Dad said he thinks they're a good idea. Ball pythons like spaces that feel tight around them so a bag would be nice, they could snuggle in and it would be flexible enough to not hurt them.
    He also decided he's gonna call them Ballsacks...so there's that...

You should definitely suggest them here, they sound like a good idea to me.
  • 08-07-2020, 10:07 PM
    Namea
    So, he loves his ballsack. He's also just in this last week or so started being much less skittish. He's using his hide again, though only one of them. At the very least he doesn't show any sign of nervousness when I handle him as long as he's forewarned that it's a hand, not food or a predator. Things seem to be going well and a lot of it is thanks to all your advice!!
  • 08-07-2020, 10:22 PM
    Bogertophis
    I love it when it works... :gj: There are so many "human things" that a snake will enjoy for security...little ones like socks! That big BCI I used to have...when I had
    her out of her cage (for cleaning) she loved hanging out in a soft-sided doggy-carrier with a towel in it; it was black & well-ventilated, & felt like a cave to her. A little
    empathy goes a long way to ensure that our snakes feel safe, & when they feel safe, they don't bite.