Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,206

0 members and 3,206 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
  • 08-05-2010, 06:13 PM
    BaLLPAddICT
    Re: High Copper
    where could i get the hog feed and bedding?
  • 08-05-2010, 06:19 PM
    llovelace
    Re: ASF Tell ALLS... Finally decided to reveal to my BP.net brothers and sisters....
    Any feed or farm supply store
  • 08-30-2010, 09:48 AM
    hoax
    Re: ASF Tell ALLS... Finally decided to reveal to my BP.net brothers and sisters....
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisdab View Post
    What about lithium grease as lubricant? Its considered household grease but I dont know the toxicity of it. The good thing about them is that door hinges or garage door chains, when greased last for years.

I know that lithium grease is used in food production so it must be safe. I think all white lithium grease is food safe just read the package I am sure it will say something, you can get it from any hardware or most automotive stores (i.e. O'rileys)

Mike
  • 09-18-2010, 03:46 AM
    Shenzi Sixaxis
    Definitely like this thread. Not breeding ASFs, but plan to soon depending on what happens with my store ordering them.

With bedding, if you can't get to a feed store, PetCo sells a HUUUUUGE bag of pine, spruce, and fir shavings for like 6 bucks with a Petco Pals card. I used it for two 1.2 mouse bins a bit bigger than a 10 gal tank, cleaned once a week for about 6 months and still had over half of it left. There's also some cheap aspen shavings for a bit more.

Walmart started selling a 14% hog feed, but I haven't checked it out enough to know if it's a good buy. You can get a big bag of dog food (like 40lb) for 15 bucks that would work for rats if you got a low protein formula for seniors. Ol' Roy has the biggest bang for your buck at Walmart from what I've checked.
  • 09-18-2010, 04:05 PM
    BAMReptiles
    14% is entirelly too low imo. the real rodent food i get is 23%
  • 09-19-2010, 03:23 PM
    Mike Cavanaugh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BAMReptiles View Post
    14% is entirelly too low imo. the real rodent food i get is 23%

In a word, NO. This is wrong. The stuff I use is 16% protein, and trust me, I get as good if not better results then your over priced 23% "real" rodent food.

How do I know? I have tested and documented the results myself.
  • 09-19-2010, 06:40 PM
    BAMReptiles
    was just curious, i mean that stuff is made for breeding lab rodents. the majority of what i use is around 20%. i jsut found it odd that it was that high
  • 09-22-2010, 10:15 PM
    Mike Cavanaugh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BAMReptiles View Post
    was just curious, i mean that stuff is made for breeding lab rodents. the majority of what i use is around 20%. i jsut found it odd that it was that high

well keep in mind it wasn't made for breeding ASF's. One thing is certain.... ASF's are a totally different world in many ways then normal rats and mice.
  • 09-23-2010, 01:35 AM
    BAMReptiles
    ah yea didnt think about that even
  • 09-26-2010, 03:12 AM
    Shenzi Sixaxis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post
    In a word, NO. This is wrong. The stuff I use is 16% protein, and trust me, I get as good if not better results then your over priced 23% "real" rodent food.

How do I know? I have tested and documented the results myself.

Can I see those? :D *curious*

Also, is 14% okay? If the feed store I know very little about doesn't carry anything that works, that's what Walmart carries. 14% protein and 3% fat, I think. I could give you more nutritional info if you need that to make an opinion.