Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,071

0 members and 3,071 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
  • 10-26-2008, 02:10 PM
    OhBalls
    Re: DIY Home-made "realistic" Hides
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PythonWallace View Post
    NIce tutorial, but is the clay water resistant to the point hat these can be washed? If not, fino or something might work beter. Someone also asked about using an existing stone hide as a base. You can get a mold makiong kit or fill the interior cavity with a latex filler, then pull it out and use it for your base. You can just shape the outside to match, or you can make a plaster mold of the outside and press it down on top of the clay once it's formed on the base. You'd have exact replicas with a litle more work.

No, the clay itself is not waterproof, which is why there are two waterproofing steps. Once before the paint and once after. Though, I would not suggest letting them soak in water, giving them a wash won't hurt since they are waterproofed. They're inexpensive enough that even if the person does NOT waterproof enough to make them completely sealed, it's not a big loss cost wise.
    I have a resin kit that I was going to use, but I read some other DIY's where people were looking for an inexpensive solution. So the point of this DIY was to keep costs at a minimum and make it easy enough for even kids to make.
    I think that by the time you bought Fimo, latex or even plaster, with all the other sealing and painting...it would be more cost effective to simply buy a store bought hide.
    Again, if you have the money and want the satisfaction of building it yourself, by all means, go for it...I am sure your ideas would make some killer hides! Thanks for the ideas!
  • 10-26-2008, 02:25 PM
    BMorrison
    That is beautiful. Thank you!
  • 10-26-2008, 02:31 PM
    PythonWallace
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OhBalls View Post
    No, the clay itself is not waterproof, which is why there are two waterproofing steps. Once before the paint and once after. Though, I would not suggest letting them soak in water, giving them a wash won't hurt since they are waterproofed. They're inexpensive enough that even if the person does NOT waterproof enough to make them completely sealed, it's not a big loss cost wise.
    I have a resin kit that I was going to use, but I read some other DIY's where people were looking for an inexpensive solution. So the point of this DIY was to keep costs at a minimum and make it easy enough for even kids to make.
    I think that by the time you bought Fimo, latex or even plaster, with all the other sealing and painting...it would be more cost effective to simply buy a store bought hide.
    Again, if you have the money and want the satisfaction of building it yourself, by all means, go for it...I am sure your ideas would make some killer hides! Thanks for the ideas!

I hear you. I didn't catch that you waterproof the inside as well. I was just letting the other poster know what would be involved in using a store bought hide as your mold, but I agree it would be cheaper to just buy another one. Again, nice write up!
  • 10-27-2008, 02:16 PM
    OhBalls
    Quote:

Originally Posted by V1L3 DiaL3cT View Post
    That is beautiful. Thank you!

Thanks! :)

I'm in the process of making several more, adding different decoration ideas to each.
    If anyone has anything they would like to add for ideas on decorating them, please let me know! I'll post pics of the finished results with how-to's if anyone is interested!
  • 10-27-2008, 03:18 PM
    FloridaHogs
    Yes, please post pics of your finished products!
  • 10-28-2008, 05:38 PM
    OhBalls
    Decoration idea....not the most practical for tubs, but looks neat in a display tank.

Fall Themed Hide

Everything is tacked onto the hide with hot glue for easy removal (except the rocks)
  • 10-28-2008, 06:21 PM
    Beardedragon
    cleaning that will be fun:D Its nice though, there is so much I could do to with this clay.
  • 10-29-2008, 06:57 PM
    Drew87
    Really cool idea, ill have to give that a try. :gj:
  • 10-29-2008, 07:00 PM
    Patrick Long
    Got it workin!!!!

I think my old flour didnt hold the moisture very well, I ended up using about half the water.
  • 10-30-2008, 08:29 AM
    asplundii
    Interesting idea.

Here is a link that may be of interest too.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...ake-rocks.html

It is 25 pages long so be ready to read but the best info is by the member HX starting about page 3. I think theis method could probably be modified to make hides in a similar manner, by casting over a bowl or the like. And you do not need to worry about water proofing afterwards...

Anyways, just a reference if others are interested.