Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,088

3 members and 3,085 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

rat size

Printable View

• 12-11-2011, 09:26 PM
    moony
    rat size
    i just got a 2 year old female at over 4 foot and 2000g.i offered her first meal (with me) and offered a large adult rat but she refused to eat it.i know its probably just settling in but i wondered what size rats more experienced keepers on here would offer.the large adult rat seemed about the same size as the thickest part of her body.also how often should i offer after she refuses? i feed my babys once a week but i hear every 2 week is enough for an adult.im guessing shes a good eater because she is very big.
  • 12-11-2011, 09:29 PM
    Don
    Start with a small rat. Sometimes larger prey items scare them, especially in a new environment.
  • 12-11-2011, 09:30 PM
    Homegrownscales
    Personally i don't like jumbos. I like to feed smaller more frequent meals. My 4400g female eat a Medium a week. Most of my girls have a bit larger than a weanling or two a week.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com
  • 12-11-2011, 09:33 PM
    VEXER19
    Not super experienced but I do knows that a large rat is fine for a snake that size. Some times you have to wait a week or so to let the snake acclimate to its new home before feeding. Depends on the snake. As for feeding every week or 2 weeks I would say feed every week still until you can see how long it takes for her to digest and defecate. But don't count on me for the second part as to I'm not 100% sure.

Or just listen to the pros above...lol (recommended)
  • 12-11-2011, 09:41 PM
    jmitch
    Re: rat size
    Being you got her as a adult what was she being fed before. If you purchased her ftom someone who did not know better and was feeding mice maybe hard to get her to change at first. As far as feeding every 2 weeks is ok for adults inless you are going to be breeding then you need to feed more often.
  • 12-11-2011, 09:59 PM
    moony
    Re: rat size
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    Being you got her as a adult what was she being fed before. If you purchased her ftom someone who did not know better and was feeding mice maybe hard to get her to change at first. As far as feeding every 2 weeks is ok for adults inless you are going to be breeding then you need to feed more often.

he fed them rats but i didnt think to ask what size(i was very excited lol) and now i have no way of contacting him.i know it was dumb of me.thanks for all the replys ile try her on a small next week.