Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,158

1 members and 3,157 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Melting ventilation holes

Printable View

• 01-12-2020, 02:03 PM
    L.West
    Melting ventilation holes
    Is it safe to put holes in tubs with a soldering iron while inside the house

Are the fumes toxic.
  • 01-12-2020, 02:09 PM
    Bogertophis
    NO, not safe, plastic fumes are very toxic! Do this outside, like in the garage with door open or on porch.
  • 01-12-2020, 02:54 PM
    WhompingWillow
    Re: Melting ventilation holes
    Meh, I've only ever used our soldering iron inside. Still alive. Granted, this was a standard one used with basic tubs. Nothing industrial.
  • 01-12-2020, 04:40 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    Meh, I've only ever used our soldering iron inside. Still alive. Granted, this was a standard one used with basic tubs. Nothing industrial.

Not saying plastic fumes will kill you instantly, but the more nasty stuff you expose your body to, the more likely you are to get cancer or be unable to deal with other
    diseases sometime in your life. Entirely your call, you don't notice your health until you lose it. There's many things we cannot avoid being exposed to anyway, why not
    avoid the obvious ones that you can? :confusd:
  • 01-12-2020, 07:03 PM
    Caitlin
    I wouldn't. Those fumes are really nasty. At least do it by an open door.
  • 01-12-2020, 10:07 PM
    dakski
    Why not drill the holes and use sandpaper on to keep the holes from having any sharp edges?

Then rinse really well and/or wipe really well to any small debris.

I do not like the idea of melting it. I would use a drill in the same situation.
  • 01-12-2020, 10:11 PM
    wnateg
    Using a soldering iron is way easier, and the fumes are toxic, but they dissipate quickly.
  • 01-14-2020, 09:49 AM
    Spoons
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Why not drill the holes and use sandpaper on to keep the holes from having any sharp edges?

Then rinse really well and/or wipe really well to any small debris.

I do not like the idea of melting it. I would use a drill in the same situation.

Because melting them takes like 1 minute of work - The holes punch instantly and the edges are already melted smooth. Drilling make a lot of plastic debris, takes longer, you risk cracking the plastic, and then sanding it is a pain. Just take it outside and sit upwind of the soldering, and as soon as the plastic cools (a min or two) it's perfectly safe for the snake almost immediately.

I have two I melted holes in - one I did inside, the second one I definitely took outside lol
  • 01-17-2020, 11:10 AM
    L.West
    I finished putting the ventilation holes in my tubs. I did end up going out in the garage with the door open. It did smell pretty bad. I did my best not to breathe any of it in.

I for sure would not want to do that inside my house after experiencing that smell.