Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,436

2 members and 3,434 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
  • 09-01-2019, 03:19 PM
    TheSandlapper
    Using stain/polyurethane on the inside of an enclosure?
    So I’m currently building a new enclosure and thought about using a stain/polyurethane two in one on the inside of the enclosure but am not sure if this is a good idea. Would it hold up to the moisture? Would it be safe for a snake? Has anyone else done this and can share how it worked out?
  • 09-01-2019, 03:41 PM
    Bogertophis
    Best if you can find a NO- VOC stain (no "volatile organic compounds") as stains will off-gas for a long time & are toxic. You would then need to completely seal
    it with a similarly-safe water-proofing product (& probably multiple coats to avoid damaging the wood with long-term moisture). You'll need to air out the enclosure
    thoroughly before use...NO odors should remain. If you are in a hurry to use such an enclosure, this won't make you happy, but as long as you have lots of time...?

Normal polyurethane dries safe for snakes, I believe, but I can't speak for a "2 in 1" product...I wouldn't think so. You might do better to just line the enclosure with
    something like tile board, then seal the corners with aquarium sealant (silicone).
  • 09-01-2019, 03:48 PM
    wnateg
    I sealed mine with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D2...b_b_asin_title

It's a :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: to work with, but should get the job done
  • 09-01-2019, 05:31 PM
    gunkle
    Re: Using stain/polyurethane on the inside of an enclosure?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    I sealed mine with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D2...b_b_asin_title

It's a :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: to work with, but should get the job done

+1. I've done 3 enclosures with this on the inside and stain on the outside
  • 09-02-2019, 08:13 AM
    gunkle
    Re: Using stain/polyurethane on the inside of an enclosure?
    Also as mentioned above it takes time to air out. I brought my cages outside to air out and when I couldn't I had a fan blowing air through them in the basement for at least a week till there was no more odor.