Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,296

0 members and 3,296 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Breeding Crickets

Printable View

• 10-01-2015, 04:28 PM
    Jay_Bunny
    Breeding Crickets
    I'm experimenting with breeding crickets. I have provided an egg-laying medium and I can see cricket eggs in the eco-earth. I want to remove that egg tub and replace it with another and incubate the eggs I have. My question is that I've read that you should incubate cricket eggs above 80 degrees. My reptile room stays around 75-80. Can I incubate them at room temperature there and if so, will they take longer to hatch? Or will they not incubate at this temp?
  • 10-01-2015, 04:51 PM
    PitOnTheProwl
    Wish I could help but I gave up on cricket and started breeding roaches.
    Never could get the crickets to produce for us.
    Mainly want to see others responses.
  • 10-01-2015, 05:07 PM
    MarkS
    I've got a friend who has been breeding crickets for himself for years, he keeps them in 5 gallon plastic buckets with screen tops and uses potatos for a water source. I'm not sure how he incubates the eggs though.

Joshs frogs has a lot of good 'how to' guides on video -> http://www.joshsfrogs.com/catalog/bl...how-to-guides/
  • 10-01-2015, 06:21 PM
    Jabberwocky Dragons
    Re: Breeding Crickets
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Wish I could help but I gave up on cricket and started breeding roaches.
    Never could get the crickets to produce for us.
    Mainly want to see others responses.

Same boat. At my busiest, we were going through 10,000 crickets each week and breeding would have been much more cost effective. Never could quite get it in large enough quantities to make it worthwhile. Dubia on the other hand :gj:
  • 10-01-2015, 06:55 PM
    ALBINO IGUANA
    Same here. Switched to roaches and never went back.
  • 10-01-2015, 08:32 PM
    Jay_Bunny
    I fully intend on breeding dubias especially since they are hard to find in this area. But I have to wait until the next reptile show to get some. I want to try my hand at breeding both since I might make a business breeding feeder insects and rodents.
  • 10-09-2015, 10:48 AM
    Jay_Bunny
    I did some looking around and this is what I found. You can incubate cricket eggs at room temp (74) but it will take roughly 26 days. Incubating around 86 degrees will give you hatched crickets in about two weeks. Mine have been incubating around 78-80 so I'm guessing mine might hatch in 20 days (5 days in, so that's 15 to go.)

Maybe I'll set up my snake egg incubator and incubate them in there at 86. Ugh, can't wait to get some roaches!