Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,392

4 members and 2,388 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,111
Threads: 248,549
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GhostyBoy29

Ever feed cicadas?

Printable View

• 05-25-2021, 07:48 PM
    WrongPython
    Ever feed cicadas?
    As the 17-year cicada apocalypse begins to descend on a number of us, I (along with a few curious family members) was wondering whether anyone here has offered periodic cicadas to their snakes as a treat. A few native species here -- notably copperheads -- apparently go nuts for them. Part of me is considering nabbing a few when they emerge to dress and offer to those on my crew large enough for them.
  • 05-25-2021, 07:53 PM
    KMG
    I will not offer anything wild caught as food to my snakes. The risk is just not worth the reward. Who knows what the bug or whatever was exposed to before you grab it and offer it as food. You could easily poison your snake by doing so.
  • 05-25-2021, 08:47 PM
    Bogertophis
    I had to see if you were inviting them to dine with you, or if you meant to use them as meals? :rofl:

I don't keep any copperheads, or I might consider offering cicadas to them- there's a lot of territory around here that's probably pretty safe to harvest them from- but supposedly we're not due for this emergence?
  • 05-25-2021, 10:53 PM
    dakski
    Re: Ever feed cicadas?
    As stated, anything wild, bug, rodent, etc. should not be offered to captive/pet snakes.

1. Risk of parasites is much higher than insects or rodents bred to be food.

2. There is a risk of insects and rodents in the wild ingesting things you do not want to pass along to your pets, including pesticide and/or poisons.

I would not do it.
  • 05-26-2021, 10:06 AM
    weblizard
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    As the 17-year cicada apocalypse begins to descend on a number of us, I (along with a few curious family members) was wondering whether anyone here has offered periodic cicadas to their snakes as a treat. A few native species here -- notably copperheads -- apparently go nuts for them. Part of me is considering nabbing a few when they emerge to dress and offer to those on my crew large enough for them.

I’d hesitate to feed them to my critters, but there are a number of recipes if you want to try them yourself. I’ve had friends tell me they’re quite good. (No, not kidding)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 05-26-2021, 10:19 AM
    Gocntry
    Cicadas do get parasites in them

Article from 2020:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/03/us/zo...rnd/index.html

Article from this year too:

https://nypost.com/2021/05/20/get-re...s-in-new-york/

So pretty sure you don't want any of that for your reptiles.
  • 05-26-2021, 10:23 AM
    jmcrook
    During the 13yr cicadas in my hometown of Columbia, MO in 2011. It was the most insane amount of cicadas I have ever seen in my life[emoji510]

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...cada-ice-cream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 05-26-2021, 11:26 AM
    Bogertophis
    I'll have to pass on the "cicada-flavored ice cream"! :weirdface