Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,381

4 members and 3,377 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99

Giant Snake Bags

Printable View

• 01-16-2018, 06:29 PM
    Prognathodon
    Giant Snake Bags
    Apropos of the “Life Hacks for Giant Snakes” thread up in the giant python sub-section, I have a heavy-duty sewing machine, and know how to use it. And I am not adverse to being the supply side of supply and demand.

How much would you be willing to pay for a sturdy canvas giant snake bag? Size would be *roughly* 33” x 60-70”. Drawstring (rope) a possibility, since I can also set grommets.

My first pass on number-crunching suggests $20-30 as a price, which is about the same as a kid’s sleeping bag, but it wouldn’t have the insulation to deal with drying when a snake makes a mess in it - turn inside-out and hose it down or throw it in the washer and dryer. Not sure if it would have to be a medium or large USPS flat-rate box for shipping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • 01-16-2018, 09:00 PM
    bcr229
    I would definitely want a drawstring.

Figure $25-30. I would probably only get one just to make transporting them to/from places like the vet easier (snake goes in bag, bag goes in bin).
  • 01-18-2018, 11:28 AM
    KevinK
    Re: Giant Snake Bags
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    Apropos of the “Life Hacks for Giant Snakes” thread up in the giant python sub-section, I have a heavy-duty sewing machine, and know how to use it. And I am not adverse to being the supply side of supply and demand.

How much would you be willing to pay for a sturdy canvas giant snake bag? Size would be *roughly* 33” x 60-70”. Drawstring (rope) a possibility, since I can also set grommets.

My first pass on number-crunching suggests $20-30 as a price, which is about the same as a kid’s sleeping bag, but it wouldn’t have the insulation to deal with drying when a snake makes a mess in it - turn inside-out and hose it down or throw it in the washer and dryer. Not sure if it would have to be a medium or large USPS flat-rate box for shipping.

Just being honest but shipping/holding supplies is difficult to price, because for me, personally I choose whatever is the cheapest. I would say $15-$20 because you're producing a product that is much better quality (that I would actually purchase myself) but still there are a lot of people that use 2 or 3 large burlap bags at once and just toss them if the snake defecates in them. Just advertise the fact that it's re washable and reusable heavily.

On a side note: Is it a possibility that you could just roll the bag up and stick it in a plastic pouch for shipping? You can save some serious cash doing this.
  • 01-18-2018, 01:49 PM
    Prognathodon
    Re: Giant Snake Bags
    I did ask for price opinions. :) I’ve got pricing pretty well figured out for leather goods, but we’ve been doing that for over 20 years now. Something as utilitarian as a snake bag, even a giant one, is different, at least in my head.

Shipping in a sturdy envelope is a definite possibility, would depend on how well it would fold down. I use USPS flat-rate for Etsy sales to make my life easier, if I make giant snake bags I’ll take another look at shipping options.