Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,196

0 members and 3,196 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Any Ideas?

Printable View

• 02-01-2017, 09:41 AM
    Ex0tic
    Any Ideas?
    Hiya I was told this would be the best place to ask this as my Thread sat in RFUK without replies for a long time so here's the post

Hello all! I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advise/help on what I could put in a 5'(L) x 7'(H) x 3'(D) Wooden vivarium... I know its strange and probably hard to find something mammal whise but I would really like to try a 'Exotic Mammal' as I haven't really ventured into them before I can give it up to 4-6 Hours a day of my time just need ideas of what I could put in something like this? If it is not possible just let me know (: Cheers.

~Tom

(Edit: It's going to be a walk in vivarium with a solid window at the front.)
  • 02-01-2017, 10:01 AM
    CALM Pythons
    Re: Any Ideas?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex0tic View Post
    Hiya I was told this would be the best place to ask this as my Thread sat in RFUK without replies for a long time so here's the post

Hello all! I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advise/help on what I could put in a 5'(L) x 7'(H) x 3'(D) Wooden vivarium... I know its strange and probably hard to find something mammal whise but I would really like to try a 'Exotic Mammal' as I haven't really ventured into them before I can give it up to 4-6 Hours a day of my time just need ideas of what I could put in something like this? If it is not possible just let me know (: Cheers.

~Tom

(Edit: It's going to be a walk in vivarium with a solid window at the front.)

Tom,
    No disrespect but I can see why this was never replied to my friend. It almost sounds like a joke. I would say start out by educating yourself with a species your interested in and only after you understand how to care for it purchase a enclosure suitable for that particular species. Im not sure what your looking to put in that Enclosure but wood is the last thing you want Feces soaking into. That is a very large/tall enclosure also. Only "Large Species" would be comfortable in something like that and it doesnt sound like your experianced enough to walk into a enclosure housing a Large Reptile/Mammal. Like I said no disrepect but I feel you've put the cart before the horse.
  • 02-01-2017, 10:26 AM
    Ex0tic
    I did say that you can let me know if it is not possible, I do have experience with some Mammals but not larger ones... I keep a lot of reptiles though and that is what this was going to be made for but just came up with a stupid idea which clearly is not going to work... I haven't yet made the enclosure its self but if I where to change the material would there be a way of anything? Cheers for you're reply.

- - - Updated - - -

May I note I was looking at Asian Palmed Civets but I hear they don't do well indoors...
  • 02-01-2017, 10:43 AM
    predatorkeeper87
    Quote:

I did say that you can let me know if it is not possible, I do have experience with some Mammals but not larger ones... I keep a lot of reptiles though and that is what this was going to be made for but just came up with a stupid idea which clearly is not going to work... I haven't yet made the enclosure its self but if I where to change the material would there be a way of anything? Cheers for you're reply.

- - - Updated - - -

May I note I was looking at Asian Palmed Civets but I hear they don't do well indoors...

aren't those the cat like things that literally crap gourmet coffee? lol
  • 02-01-2017, 10:47 AM
    Ex0tic
    Yes :P
  • 02-01-2017, 10:50 AM
    Vipera Berus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by predatorkeeper87 View Post

That is indeed correct it is a civet that craps expensive coffee, last time I checked it was retailing at something like £125 (about $250 in US) for a small bag of coffee, this was a few years ago though so it's probably changed.
  • 02-01-2017, 10:52 AM
    tttaylorrr
    Quote:

had to give this a google and uhhhh i learned something new today. lol. cute little coffee buggers.
  • 02-01-2017, 11:12 AM
    predatorkeeper87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    had to give this a google and uhhhh i learned something new today. lol. cute little coffee buggers.

ya just think...a useful cat exists lol.
  • 02-01-2017, 11:22 AM
    CALM Pythons
    Quote:

- - - Updated - - -

Well if you already keep Reptiles and are experienced with them then I would decide on the species your interested in and read about their habitat before drawing up plans for a enclosure. You can use wood if you put down a pvc laminate inside and silicone all joints so that liquid wont penetrate and you can wipe it out and sterilize. I have a 8'L x3' D x 3'H wooden enclosure that's interior is basically bathroom plastic wall panels or shower enclosure. All corner seams are siliconed. But my enclosure was build for the snake I have who doesn't climb and needs the space. If it was a smaller snake 4'-8' then they wouldnt feel safe in a huge enclosure like this which is why i said decide before you plan a build. The 7' hight your talking is more along the lines of a Green Tree Python if your talking snakes. Im sure there are Lizards but I wouldnt know about that. If your talking Mammals thats also something I wouldnt know about.
  • 02-01-2017, 11:26 AM
    tttaylorrr
    Quote:

ya just think...a useful cat exists lol.

where's the thumbs-down button??? :P