Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,417

5 members and 3,412 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

First BP

Printable View

• 09-04-2018, 01:00 PM
    oli769oli
    First BP
    Just wanted to show you my first Ball Python.

He/She is home since 3 days now and have already handled it 15 min per days. I've heard about the 1 week rule but h'es pretty docile right now

Also, he/she eat his first frozen mice at home today.

It's suposed to be a Lesser, bought it in a petshop (i've taken this little snake out of hell).

Time for some picture

This snake is so cutehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...99d094bacd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...80cefe7d87.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...81991b2e1a.jpg

Envoyé de mon LG-H831 en utilisant Tapatalk
  • 09-04-2018, 01:18 PM
    tttaylorrr
    welcome to the forum!

def looks like a Butter/Lesser. :)

trust me: please allow the lil baby some peace and quiet to get adjusted to their new home. 15 min/day is a lot for a new keeper and a new baby in a new home. also don't be surprised if they don't eat for you right away; it's very common for new beeps.
  • 09-04-2018, 01:21 PM
    oli769oli
    Re: First BP
    Thanks for the reply,

Yeah, he/she ate a frozen mice today, not at the first attempt, i had need to put the mice head in boil water for 4-5 seconds and he took it right away.

Now he/she will be all alone for the next 48 hours at least

• 09-04-2018, 01:22 PM
    dr del
    Remember not to handle him for a couple of days after he eats though. Regurgitation is really serious for snakes so you don't want to do anything that might cause it. :please:
  • 09-04-2018, 01:24 PM
    oli769oli
    Of course

Don't worry, he/she ate that mice at 8:30AM and now the snake will be all alone In his hide for the next 48 hours at least

Plus, i don't know a lot about morph so if you say it's a lesser-butter i'm trusting you haha

• 09-04-2018, 01:27 PM
    tttaylorrr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oli769oli View Post
    Plus, i don't know a lot about morph so if you say it's a lesser-butter i'm trusting you haha

it's a Butter/Lesser. i'd stake my reputation on it. ;)

Butter and Lesser are the same gene, but they were proved out by different people who named them different things; same gene, different lines.
  • 09-04-2018, 01:29 PM
    oli769oli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    it's a Butter/Lesser. i'd stake my reputation on it. ;)

Butter and Lesser are the same gene, but they were proved out by different people who named them different things; same gene, different lines.

Alright then, was wrote only lesser at that place so i'm happy to know the exact thing [emoji14]

Now i can't wait to see this little thing grow up

• 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
    Ronniex2
    beautiful!! i want lesser so bad .. its such a BA color morph.. but yes at least a few weeks b4 handlimg (not 48hrs:colbert:).. get him on a regular feeding pattern (at least 3-5 stright) and then work your self into handling him/her as feeding them at this age is A1... :D

good luck and welcome!!:salute:
  • 09-04-2018, 04:46 PM
    Craiga 01453
    As the others have said, let your snake acclimate before doing any more handling. As a first time keeper it's important to trust experienced keepers.

Let your snake settle in for a while, not 48 hours. I highly suggest holding off on handling until your snake has eaten three consecutive meals without refusal.

BPs can be very finicky eaters and get stressed easily. You have 25+ years to handle your snake. Let it acclimate. Your snakes health should be prioritized over your desire to handle an animal that doesn't want to be handled in the first place.
  • 09-04-2018, 04:48 PM
    oli769oli
    Thanks for replying.

You are completely right, I was saying "at least 48hours".

Now I will of course wait until he ate three consecutive meat. That way it will be safer for his future.

Appreciate all the tips :D love this forum so far
    Quote:

Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    As the others have said, let your snake acclimate before doing any more handling. As a first time keeper it's important to trust experienced keepers.

Let your snake settle in for a while, not 48 hours. I highly suggest holding off on handling until your snake has eaten three consecutive meals without refusal.

BPs can be very finicky eaters and get stressed easily. You have 25+ years to handle your snake. Let it acclimate. Your snakes health should be prioritized over your desire to handle an animal that doesn't want to be handled in the first place.