Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,450

0 members and 2,450 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
  • 05-27-2020, 06:38 PM
    Swampguy90
    Calming down a baby pueblan milk snake?
    Just got a pueblan milk snake. Very fast and flighty. He is in his enclosure and will he left alone for around a week before handling(except for feeding in a few days.). Any tips to helping him calm down? I’ve heard handling 2 times a day for around 15 minutes helps but how long did it take others to calm, if they even did. He has been exploring his new enclosure.
  • 05-27-2020, 06:42 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    If he is young time will be what really make a difference, pretty typical for Milksnakes to be flighty and the younger the worse they are. Once they age and gain some size it is a different story. When I kept and bred Milk I honestly kept handling to a minimum the first year.
  • 05-27-2020, 06:49 PM
    Bogertophis
    PATIENCE! You should not be handling a "baby" milk snake...they need time to eat & grow without that stress for the better part of their first year while they gain size
    and experience. You wouldn't bring a newborn home from the hospital & expect them to go to school or play baseball, would you? You should back off & observe this
    snake for a while, otherwise the stress you cause will not be helpful, & might harm. These are nervous & flighty snakes anyway, but also pretty & very cool to watch.
    Let him learn to be a snake first...his instincts are telling him that he's "toast" (prey) for anything that picks him up...& terror is never good for health. (And yes, I have
    in the past, raised a pair of these.) There is no rush to "tame" such snakes...their mouth is too small to bite effectively & instead (like many king snakes) they tend to
    reward handling by expelling feces so as to be "less appetizing" to predators (as he thinks you are). ;)
  • 05-27-2020, 08:19 PM
    Swampguy90
    Thanks! Sounds good. I’ll just observe him until he grows. I appreciate the help!