Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,271

1 members and 3,270 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

My First Snake!

Printable View

• 10-07-2019, 08:17 PM
    aurum
    My First Snake!
    I picked up my first snake yesterday at the Manchester expo. She is a 2019 speckled kingsnake. I was originally planning on getting a Baird's rat snake, but things didn't work out with the breeder, so I ended up going with one of the other species I had wanted and researched. Even though she isn't what I was planning on she's still the best little snake and I'm really happy with her.
    She seems to be settling in well. When I first put her in her tank yesterday she spent her first few hours exploring and from what I've seen (and haven't seen) of her today she seems content to spend most of her time in her hides, occasionally poking her head out (so cute!) and moving between them.
    It's so nice to finally have my own snake, and every time I catch a glimpse of her in her tank it makes my heart happy :D
  • 10-07-2019, 08:24 PM
    Valyndris
    Congrats on your first snake. They really are amazing pets, does she have a name yet? :)
  • 10-07-2019, 08:27 PM
    cletus
    Congrats! Kings are awesome.. Glad to see you are happy with her!
  • 10-07-2019, 08:29 PM
    Bogertophis
    Congratulations! Speckled king snakes are pretty cute, good choice for a pet & should be easy to feed (< understatement, lol). :snake:
  • 10-07-2019, 08:33 PM
    aurum
    Re: My First Snake!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    Congrats on your first snake. They really are amazing pets, does she have a name yet? :)

Thank you! She does not have a name yet. It isn't super important to me though, so I'm not in a rush to find one, but she'll definitely be named once I get a feel for her and find a name I really like.
  • 10-07-2019, 08:40 PM
    aurum
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    Congrats! Kings are awesome.. Glad to see you are happy with her!

Thanks!
  • 10-07-2019, 08:44 PM
    aurum
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Congratulations! Speckled king snakes are pretty cute, good choice for a pet & should be easy to feed (< understatement, lol). :snake:

Thank you! She is pretty darn cute, and hopefully that king snake appetite will make her first meal with me an easy one.
  • 10-07-2019, 08:46 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    Thank you! She is pretty darn cute, and hopefully that king snake appetite will make her first meal with me an easy one.

I would almost guarantee it. ;)
  • 10-07-2019, 09:07 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Congrats!!! Kings are fantastic snakes. My first snake was a King almost 20 years ago. With all the amazing species of snakes out there Kings always have been and always will be one of my favorites.
    I've said many times, as long as I'm in the snake hobby I'll always have at least one King.

I often joke that my Cali King, Django would eat a slice of pizza if I dangled off tongs...as long as it's meat lovers!!! Hahahhaa, Kings are voracious feeders. Even all these years later it still amazes me.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you may have, we're happy to help!

...oh and make sure your enclosure is 10000% escape proof. Kings are incredible escape artists and when they're that tiny can fit through holes you wouldn't think possible.
  • 10-07-2019, 09:30 PM
    John1982
    Congratulations on your first snake. You chose wisely. :D