Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,525

2 members and 3,523 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Boa and soaking

Printable View

• 09-08-2019, 10:43 PM
    NorthernBoa
    Boa and soaking
    Just got a new boa and got her in an enclosure suited for her size with a big enough water dish for her to soak the water is about 74 degrees but she's seems to spend alot of time there is than normal for a big boa who hadn't had a big dish for a while
  • 09-08-2019, 11:39 PM
    Bogertophis
    Snakes aren't all the same, even the same species. The boa I had did not like to soak, & as far as I know, it's not typical behavior for boas. Since you just got her,
    I hope you're keeping her on paper towels for substrate (temporarily) so you can make sure she doesn't have mites. I hate to tell you this, but soaking in water is
    a typical snake response (snakes of all kinds) when they have mites, & since mites will kill a snake, it's important to make sure yours is not harboring them. If she
    is, you'll need to eradicate them as soon as possible...their bites cause itching & irritation, but also dehydration & eventually shock & organ failure. If you house a
    new snake on white plain paper towels for a while, mites that may drop off are easier to see. Also check the water bowl, & the snake itself.
  • 09-09-2019, 12:31 AM
    jmcrook
    Re: Boa and soaking
    Also, 9yr old dead thread...
  • 09-09-2019, 12:36 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Also, 9yr old dead thread...

:confusd: This was posted tonight...? And the OP only joined 5 days ago... (-maybe a mod separated this post from a dead thread?)
  • 09-09-2019, 12:55 AM
    jmcrook
    Hah! Must have gotten separated. When I first saw it the previous reply before the now “OP” was in 2010
  • 09-09-2019, 12:58 AM
    Bogertophis
    Or else we're in the Twilight Zone...:D
  • 09-09-2019, 02:54 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernBoa View Post
    Just got a new boa and got her in an enclosure suited for her size with a big enough water dish for her to soak the water is about 74 degrees but she's seems to spend alot of time there is than normal for a big boa who hadn't had a big dish for a while

What are the temps in the tank (warm side and cool side and ambient)?

What is humidity?

Have you ruled out mites?

Boas can soak, but if given proper temp and especially humidity, they might not want or need to much. As Bogertophis said, it also depends on the given animal.

You also mentioned a new acquisition. I hope he/she is being properly quarantined and you have ruled out mites. Mites are another reason a boa might (no pun intended) soak.

Hopefully it's just this boa's tendency or a minor temp and/or humidity adjustment is needed.
  • 09-09-2019, 01:05 PM
    AbsoluteApril
    Yes, the thread was split out of an old thread that was discussing correct water temps for boas for swimming.

The only time I've seen boas soak is either when there are mites or when they are trying to cool off from too hot of a cage. Not saying some don't or won't here or there but I have never had a boa soak before that didn't have mites.

One other thing - does she have a hide? It could be the bowl is the 'safest' feeling spot but the first thing I would do is check for mites.
    Hope it's not the case!
    good luck