Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,910

1 members and 2,909 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
  • 01-08-2021, 06:40 PM
    KevinK
    Sooo you want to put a garter snake in a 6ft cage...(Reddit snake advice)
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e88eb75bbb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 01-08-2021, 07:20 PM
    Bogertophis
    I'd recommend a rat snake, actually. One of the plentiful & c/b species from the U.S.- such as a Pantherophis obsoletus (aka black rat snake) or one of their cousins from further south, like a grey, gulf hammock, yellow or Everglades rat snake, or a Baird's rat snake or Trans Pecos rat snake from the western U.S. (also c/b)

But why did you post this? :confusd:
  • 01-08-2021, 07:21 PM
    KevinK
    Re: Sooo you want to put a garter snake in a 6ft cage...(Reddit snake advice)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'd recommend a rat snake, actually. One of the plentiful & c/b species from the U.S.- such as a Pantherophis obsoletus (aka black rat snake) or one of their cousins from further south, like a grey, gulf hammock, yellow or Everglades rat snake, or a Baird's rat snake or Trans Pecos rat snake from the western U.S. (also c/b)

But why did you post this? :confusd:

Sticking a 2ft colubrid in a 6ft cage seems unnecessary if space utilization is a priority no?

• 01-08-2021, 07:24 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Sticking a 2ft colubrid in a 6ft cage seems unnecessary if space utilization is a priority no?

Yes, but we aren't exactly going to reach (educate) them with our advice here, are we? It doesn't surprise me that there's an abundance of bad info floating around.
  • 01-08-2021, 07:27 PM
    KevinK
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes, but we aren't exactly going to reach (educate) them with our advice here, are we? It doesn't surprise me that there's an abundance of bad info floating around.

It’s the off-topic cafe...education isn’t my priority in this case

• 01-08-2021, 07:37 PM
    jmcrook
    I mean, nothing ~inherently wrong with the set up. But also pretty much parallel to giving a goldfish a 200gallon aquarium. [emoji90]

• 01-08-2021, 07:38 PM
    KevinK
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I mean, nothing ~inherently wrong with the set up. But also pretty much parallel to giving a goldfish a 200gallon aquarium. [emoji90]

That was my exact thought. If you’ve got a big enclosure, I personally wouldn’t use it for a snake that will do fine in a 32qt its entire life.

• 01-08-2021, 09:00 PM
    Spicey
    But if it's what they have and they want to use it, why not? It's not like it's a BP (sorry, guys) that freaks out if it has too much room. They can always divide the space up later.
  • 01-08-2021, 09:00 PM
    KevinK
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicey View Post
    But if it's what they have and they want to use it, why not? It's not like it's a BP (sorry, guys) that freaks out if it has too much room. They can always divide the space up later.

They wanted optimal use of the cage space.

• 01-08-2021, 11:00 PM
    Toad37
    I think they could get optimal use out of the cage with a colubrid, especially a garter snake. Garter snakes are one of the only reptiles that do well communally so they could set it up for 4 or 5 females with multiple hot spots on one side and a ton of enrichment. If done correctly that would almost be a moving/living piece of art.