Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,297

1 members and 3,296 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 07-14-2018, 05:58 PM
    Phillydubs
    Very gorgeous guy!!

i saw some of these for sale recently and was very tempted!

welcome to the dwarf boa club! I don’t have a nic but a caye caulker and I love my girl. Very fun snakes!
  • 07-14-2018, 10:43 PM
    caravaggiooo
    Re: Rembrandt - Nicaraguan Boa (first snake!)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Very gorgeous guy!!

i saw some of these for sale recently and was very tempted!

welcome to the dwarf boa club! I don’t have a nic but a caye caulker and I love my girl. Very fun snakes!

Thanks! I wish I'd done a bit more research into the different localities before I went for the Nic, because there's so many other appealing ones, Caye Caulker being one of them! I literally found out about them a few days ago. Not that I know much yet but I already like dwarfs so much :)

I just fed Remby again, I remembered to use a hairdryer this time and he struck! But he let go of the mouse after he dragged it into his hide, where I hope he'll have eaten it by now... I'm such a paranoid new snake parent haha

https://i.imgur.com/nceWkDa.jpg?1
  • 07-15-2018, 03:08 AM
    richardhind1972
    Really glad he's eating for you, boas don't tend to be that fussy when it comes to eating.
    I don't think you will regret choosing a nic
    They really are great boas

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
  • 07-15-2018, 05:11 PM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by caravaggiooo View Post
    Thanks! I wish I'd done a bit more research into the different localities before I went for the Nic, because there's so many other appealing ones, Caye Caulker being one of them! I literally found out about them a few days ago. Not that I know much yet but I already like dwarfs so much :)

I just fed Remby again, I remembered to use a hairdryer this time and he struck! But he let go of the mouse after he dragged it into his hide, where I hope he'll have eaten it by now... I'm such a paranoid new snake parent haha

https://i.imgur.com/nceWkDa.jpg?1

Keep us posted !!

The trick for the hairdryer trick is to keep repeating the process, reheat with hairdryer and offer INSTANTLY if they strike or even just tongue lick ... reheat and offer instantly... repeat until it's grabbed and eaten ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 07-16-2018, 04:31 PM
    caravaggiooo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Keep us posted !!

The trick for the hairdryer trick is to keep repeating the process, reheat with hairdryer and offer INSTANTLY if they strike or even just tongue lick ... reheat and offer instantly... repeat until it's grabbed and eaten ..

Thanks for the tip! During the first two feedings, he'd dropped the mouse as if he wasn't going to eat it but pretty much inside his hide, so I'd left it there and hoped for the best. So far it's worked out but I'll keep it in mind in case it doesn't!
  • 07-16-2018, 04:57 PM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by caravaggiooo View Post
    Thanks for the tip! During the first two feedings, he'd dropped the mouse as if he wasn't going to eat it but pretty much inside his hide, so I'd left it there and hoped for the best. So far it's worked out but I'll keep it in mind in case it doesn't!

If they're in their hide ... all the better ! For example Royals generally prefer to strike from within their hide and eat it in there as well ... some people lift the hides out before feeding which is the WORST thing to do

• 07-16-2018, 06:24 PM
    caravaggiooo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    If they're in their hide ... all the better ! For example Royals generally prefer to strike from within their hide and eat it in there as well ... some people lift the hides out before feeding which is the WORST thing to do

I made that mistake the very first time, so I was really lucky he still ate for me :oops: I thought I knew what I was doing, but reading about it and actually doing it are entirely different matters, clearly. I definitely won't be doing that again! There's so many little details of snake keeping I still need to learn.

Another example of my newbie-ness: I know boas tend to not poop often but I'm still anxiously awaiting Remby's first bowel movement. At the same time I'm worrying if he peed or passed urates and I missed it in the substrate... gah
  • 07-16-2018, 09:11 PM
    Jus1More
    Your doing great my friend!!! These dwarf boa's are great snakes. I love my 2 girls to pieces. When it comes to feeding they are ready to pounce and never skip a meal. My one girl always knows it's feeding day because she has her head sticking out of her hide half way waiting. She reminds me of a dog waiting for his bone... :dog:
  • 07-18-2018, 05:10 PM
    caravaggiooo
    I finally managed to get a decent picture! This guy really won't hold still for long :D I don't get the feeling he's tense or afraid but he always seems to want to go places!

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/rXi8BQG.jpg

bonus:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/xMuRO0n.jpg

I did NOT realize boa constrictors are so cute.
  • 07-18-2018, 05:13 PM
    richardhind1972
    Rembrandt - Nicaraguan Boa (first snake!)
    My nics still are on the go all these years later.ive noticed they don’t like holding on either,the amount of times I’ve nearly dropped them lol
    ,boas are cute especially with that little tash
    You will love the pinks and peaches that come and go on the nics

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk