Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,356

2 members and 3,354 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Rats on a Plane?

Printable View

• 04-21-2017, 09:33 AM
    dragonkittymeowr
    Rats on a Plane?
    I am moving and shipping my ball python to my parents house. However, I will probably have around 10-15 frozen small rats left. I was wondering if I could bring them on the plane as a carry-on and pack with dry ice or something? Or should I pack them into my check-in bag? Would they essentially count as frozen meat?
  • 04-21-2017, 09:45 AM
    predatorkeeper87
    Re: Rats on a Plane?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonkittymeowr View Post
    I am moving and shipping my ball python to my parents house. However, I will probably have around 10-15 frozen small rats left. I was wondering if I could bring them on the plane as a carry-on and pack with dry ice or something? Or should I pack them into my check-in bag? Would they essentially count as frozen meat?

I'm going to wager the airline won't let you have them on the plane in any capacity.

I'd look into what it would take to ship them, I'd imagine there would be some stipulations with the USDA as it will be considered meat.
  • 04-21-2017, 10:00 AM
    dragonkittymeowr
    I probably will just throw them out if I have to ship them, since it will probably cost around the same to just buy more.

I guess the TSA is pretty arbitrary, so it might not be worth it to risk it. While raw meat packed with dry ice is permitted on the plane according to regulations, the officer may just be super weirded out and not sure if it is worth the hassle.
  • 04-21-2017, 10:12 AM
    predatorkeeper87
    Quote:

I probably will just throw them out if I have to ship them, since it will probably cost around the same to just buy more.

I guess the TSA is pretty arbitrary, so it might not be worth it to risk it. While raw meat packed with dry ice is permitted on the plane according to regulations, the officer may just be super weirded out and not sure if it is worth the hassle.

interesting, I didn't know that would be allowed on a plane. Up to you then, if you know raw meat is allowed then call ahead and tell them you'll be coming through with them and if its going to be an issue or not.
  • 04-21-2017, 10:25 AM
    dragonkittymeowr
    Good idea! I will probably email them and print out that email if they say yes. Ugh, airlines are so finicky.
  • 04-21-2017, 10:47 AM
    bcr229
    I would put them up for sale locally, as I've found when flying that I want to bring along the least amount of stuff possible.
  • 04-21-2017, 04:42 PM
    Ba11er
    its not worth the hassle and possibly being delayed, sell them local and buy more when you arrive.
  • 04-21-2017, 06:06 PM
    mlededee
    Quote:

When you ship your ball python, sign up for an account with ShipYourReptiles. Then use discount code BPnet40 to save 40% off shipping for your snake!

As for the frozen rats, I agree that it won't be worth the hassle to try to take them with you or to have them shipped.