Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,191

1 members and 1,190 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,121
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455

Prekilled insects?

Printable View

• 05-30-2015, 09:42 AM
    Iridium
    Prekilled insects?

Are prekilled insects or even pinkies an option for feeding an adult bearded dragon as an alternative for live insects? My girlfriend is considering an a beardie, but doesn't seem to be comfortable with the idea of feeding it live insects, so I'm asking for her sake.
  • 05-30-2015, 09:50 AM
    Daigga
    They have canned and/or freeze dried insects, but they're more expensive and a tend to be ignored. I have heard of giving pinky mice to beardies(sparingly and only as treats, never a diet staple), but I don't think it's actually good for them so we've never done it with our girl.

If shes getting an adult beardie, most of its nutrition should be coming from greens and veggies anyway. Insects should still be part of their diet, but you would be fine offering a dozen crickets once a week or so and just keeping a salad available otherwise.
  • 05-30-2015, 10:05 AM
    Iridium
    Re: Prekilled insects?
    Thank you! She (nor I) didn't know that they only had to be fed live insects only about once weekly. She sounds a lot happier with that idea then having to feed them bugs every day, lol. Thank you!
  • 06-02-2015, 08:25 AM
    hungba
    Do those canned insects lose nutrients after a while?
  • 06-02-2015, 08:22 PM
    Daigga
    Re: Prekilled insects?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hungba View Post
    Do those canned insects lose nutrients after a while?

I'm not 100% certain, I only ever bought them once. They're more hydrated, so I would imagine they have more nutrients than the freeze dried kinds, which are mostly carapace anyway. If you have access to them, live insects are certainly best.