Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,252

2 members and 3,250 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Possible pet tarantula

Printable View

• 09-29-2019, 04:46 PM
    Toad37
    Possible pet tarantula
    So I've been heavily considering acquiring a tarantula soon. I've spoken with the family and everyone is on board with it and I've been drowning myself in research. I really like brachypelma albopilosum (Honduran curly hair). IMO they are absolutely beautiful and easy to care for which is a plus. This will just be a display pet and I understand it will be "no touchy" pet as they really don't enjoy being handled. From what I've researched they like to burrow so they need a few inches of substrate, normal room temperature (no supplemental heat required), dry environments, and feeding 1-3 times a week.

If anyone has any experience with tarantulas and/or this species in general and has some extra advise I'd really appreciate it. TIA.
  • 09-29-2019, 05:14 PM
    Aerries
    Re: Possible pet tarantula
    I have 5 now, three Pokies and one B. Smithi (hammori) along with a Aphonopelma seemanni. They’re all super easy to care for. Here’s some of my Ts https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...24ee832cef.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8dfa00f197.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f120fa50c4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d6dbecc9da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 09-29-2019, 05:26 PM
    Toad37
    That aphonopelma is gorgeous! Very pretty colors
  • 09-29-2019, 05:30 PM
    Aerries
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    That aphonopelma is gorgeous! Very pretty colors

Actually these are two of the Pokies, the blue one is Poecilotheria Metallica and Poecilotheria Ornata , I also have a P. Tigrinawesseli

• 09-29-2019, 05:34 PM
    Toad37
    Oh I thought it was the blue one. Noob here sorry!!! I haven't dove too deep into other species. My focus has been on beginner species and specifically the curly hair.
  • 09-29-2019, 05:44 PM
    Aerries
    Lol it’s all good I’ve been keeping for just over a year, the Pokies are old worlds, so they don’t throw hairs, just have much more potent venom. And I NEVER handle any of my Ts...specially my Ornata Medusa....he’s a nightmare...

• 09-29-2019, 05:48 PM
    Toad37
    The venom is why I have no desire for an old world. Even tho I never plan on handling even a new world, freak accidents can happen and I'd rather not take a chance. Just want something to look at and admire.
  • 09-29-2019, 06:07 PM
    Bogertophis
    I had a native tarantula on my front porch a week ago...a male, it's the season they travel. I've only kept one before, a harmless CA native (large female) some
    years ago for about 6 mos. I only handled her once, briefly...she walked on my hand & it felt like featherweight pipe-cleaners, lol. But when I looked at her fangs
    from beneath her (thru a clear plastic container) I lost all desire to continue our "socializing". :D Besides, if you drop them, they often die ("like dropping a stale
    jelly donut" I was told...). I had a houseful of snakes & re-homed her to my exotic vet & his grand-kids...they're ok, but I had & still have "enough to do". ;) I'm
    quite sure none of them care about handling anyway.
  • 09-29-2019, 06:09 PM
    Aerries
    Handling is only for the owner, they benefit nothing, actually stresses them out. It’s why I keep old worlds, absolutely gorgeous colors...horrible venom

• 09-29-2019, 06:20 PM
    Toad37
    What's the best way to determine a "pre molt" so I'll know when to leave it alone. Like our snakes go into blue. Do tarantulas do something along those lines?