Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,404

4 members and 3,400 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
  • 12-21-2014, 12:35 PM
    RJimison
    Excellent article and very well thought out. This should be passed along to all new ball python owners as a tool for them. Good read!
  • 01-13-2015, 11:17 AM
    theclash
    This article is wonderful. As a brand new BP owner I have something to fall back on should I encounter a fast.
  • 01-16-2015, 06:43 PM
    se7en
    good stuff
  • 01-16-2015, 06:53 PM
    JMinILM
    Re: The Psychology of Problem Feeders – Get your Ball Python eating again
    Great post! I'm sure it will help lots of people.
  • 01-16-2015, 07:00 PM
    JMinILM

- - - Updated - - -

• 07-30-2015, 10:05 PM
    fleapower
    7 months...
    I am in need of some serious help. I have a female BP who has not eaten since December 27. She has gone from 1060 to 972 grams. She has shed twice during that time. I have two other females about the same age eating like clockwork. This is what I've tried:

- the "don't touch anything" philosophy
    - varied temps
    - varied humidity
    - changed enclosure
    - changed room in which she is kept
    - different color rat
    - live rat (she has been eating F/T her whole life)

I haven't tried a mouse, yet.

I know BP's can go a year without eating, but seven months is plenty long for me. Starting to become concerned.
  • 08-13-2015, 01:24 AM
    Lady mkrj58
    Thank you for the info

Sent from my SGH-T999
  • 09-13-2015, 10:51 PM
    O'Mathghamhna
    Re: 7 months...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fleapower View Post
    I am in need of some serious help. I have a female BP who has not eaten since December 27. She has gone from 1060 to 972 grams. She has shed twice during that time. I have two other females about the same age eating like clockwork. This is what I've tried:

- the "don't touch anything" philosophy
    - varied temps
    - varied humidity
    - changed enclosure
    - changed room in which she is kept
    - different color rat
    - live rat (she has been eating F/T her whole life)

I haven't tried a mouse, yet.

I know BP's can go a year without eating, but seven months is plenty long for me. Starting to become concerned.

Mine just went on a 6 month hunger strike and I tried all these this too with no luck. So I moved her to a very low-activity room (spare bedroom) and put, of all things, a live gerbil in her feeding tank. Within 3 seconds she had him wrapped up and she gobbled him down without issue! Side note, a week later, she laid eggs despite me having her a year without being around any other snakes.

Gerbils are apparently balls' favorite naturally-occurring meal in Africa, where they are from. I'm hoping by now your baby has eaten, so I'm posting this for everyone else who may be having feeding issues.
  • 10-12-2015, 12:09 PM
    SamuelWitwicky
    Hey guys, just joined the forum. I've read on other websites that BP's tend not to eat during winter.

However I come from a place where it's constantly humid and hot. So my question is, will my snake know it's winter time based on it's general genetic make up? Or should I not consider that as a factor when my snake isn't eating during the "winter months"

Cheers,
    Sam
  • 10-12-2015, 01:44 PM
    Zincubus
    Never heard that about poor winter appetites tbh . My good feeding Royals eat all year round .. The others get offered food every 10 to 14 days and its suits them better ..