Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,411

1 members and 3,410 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 03-18-2020, 04:44 PM
    Gio
    Good Layne Labs Experience.
    Up to this point, the ordering, delivery and packaging have all been top notch.

I'll expand on this after I thaw and feed.

Pictures?? Of course.

Arrival.
    https://i.imgur.com/H9LUhFx.jpg

Packed properly.
    https://i.imgur.com/nXAHs0K.jpg

Lots of large rats and large quail.
    https://i.imgur.com/x87bFwp.jpg

My favorite part, because I'm an adult child!

Anything packed in dry ice gets my hot water in a bucket routine.

https://i.imgur.com/cAhfxaH.jpg

With the crop of animals I have here, this shipment should last a year or more.
  • 03-18-2020, 06:13 PM
    AbsoluteApril
    The times I've ordered from Laynes, the quality has always been good. I wish they still flat packed in vacuum bags like Big Cheese does, the change over to those blue zip locks happened about 2 years ago.
    Glad you had a good shipment from them, they are one of 3 go-to suppliers for quality feeders IMO.
  • 03-18-2020, 09:22 PM
    303_enfield
    A Zoo I worked at uses them. The Zoo would rather send $$$ then raise their own. Layne is the only rodent supplier they will use.

If your not going to use them all in three months break them down an vacuum seal them. They will last a year plus vacuumed.

I use a Foodsaver vacuum. I've had three reconditioned ones in use for over twenty years. I farm an they get a work out. When the first one was too small I gave it to a family member (butcher), it's still going strong. Check their sight an look for deals.

https://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sealers/

Good luck!
  • 03-19-2020, 12:09 AM
    Team Slytherin
    Re: Good Layne Labs Experience.
    I love Layne Labs!
  • 03-19-2020, 10:03 AM
    Andiamo
    been using them for over a year now. they're great, IMO. I wish their small rats were a tad bigger tho, but so far so great.
  • 03-19-2020, 10:29 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Thanks for sharing. I don't see as many reviews for Layne as I do BC and PP, but what I have heard is all positive. I may give them a try once the new morellia have some size on them.

....and yup, dry ice is so fun!!!! I've gotten my fiance with a few dry ice pranks. My favorite was hiding a piece under the little plastic drain thingy in the two bay kitchen sink...she turned on the water and "smoke" started billowing up from the other side....she FREAKED!!! It was priceless!!!! :rofl::rofl::D
  • 03-19-2020, 09:51 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    I started out using LL and they are great. They're a bit more expensive and the shipping costs to my area made them cost prohibitive. I get the same quality product from BC and PP but they don't sell quail or rabbits.
  • 06-19-2021, 12:16 PM
    tempo36
    Re: Not Good Layne Labs Experience.
    As I work through my first bag from Layne I've come across several rats that are under the promised weight. I have a high quality kitchen scale that has never had problems and I've found rats as light as 15g in a bag meant to contain 20-29g feeders. Even if I assume the scale is off, which I don't since I weigh other commercial products that appear accurate, I would be surprised if my scale was off by this much.

Even visually, some of these are far too small to use as feeders for my animal.

So far, their response has been, to paraphrase, "we use an automatic sorter and we're sure it's right" which is both poor customer service and insulting.
  • 06-22-2021, 03:45 PM
    tempo36
    P.S. Layne totally made this right for me after my follow up email...and in an above and beyond way.

Way to finish up strong on this one.
  • 06-22-2021, 05:01 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tempo36 View Post
    P.S. Layne totally made this right for me after my follow up email...and in an above and beyond way.

Way to finish up strong on this one.

I’m glad LL made things right with your order Tempo. It sounds like you bought rat pups from them. I did a quick price comparison between Layne Labs and Big Cheese and the differences were considerable especially if you’re placing a large order. Not only were the BC rodents less expensive but the flat rate shipping, at least to my area, was much less than the LL shipping charges. I only listed the rodent prices because I know the shipping prices for LL will vary depending on the recipients location. BC also had their medium and jumbo rats on sale.

BC / LL
    rat pups $1.75 / 1.75
    weaned rats $1.99 / $2.25
    small rats $2.19 / $2.50
    medium rats $2.50 / $3.50
    large rats $3.45 / $4.00
    jumbo rats $2.50 / $5.00