Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,081

0 members and 1,081 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux

Stunted growth???

Printable View

• 07-15-2006, 08:19 AM
    Pork Chops N' Corn Bread
    Stunted growth???
    I've had T my sav for about 2 years now. He was cbb from a breeder with parents on sight. Well I have been doing some more research on savannahs and I see They usually reach 2-2 1/2' in the first year alone. He is only 2'. I think the reason for his size was that I didn't feed him enough when he was young. I was not told how much he should eat and all that. Now that I know alot more about his needed diet, He seems to be getting fatter and putting on weight but hasn't grown much more than an inch in the past 4 months. just curious as to what you guys think.
  • 07-15-2006, 08:41 AM
    fish21
    Re: Stunted growth???
    just keep putting the feed to him. i bet he will shoot off in the next year sometime. if in that time he dosent i would cut his feed back down. being fat is way harder on him than being a little on the small side. but if i had to bet i would say he should take off soon.
    matt
  • 07-15-2006, 10:35 AM
    Pork Chops N' Corn Bread
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fish21
    just keep putting the feed to him. i bet he will shoot off in the next year sometime. if in that time he dosent i would cut his feed back down. being fat is way harder on him than being a little on the small side. but if i had to bet i would say he should take off soon.
    matt

I keep pouring food in him. As much as he eats. 4-5 mice every 2 days usually and as many roaches as he eats every day
  • 07-15-2006, 11:50 AM
    Razaiel
    He looks a very healthy monitor, though, Jake. I've seen your video of him eating his mice and all your pics. Maybe he could be a slightly smaller than average monitor.
  • 07-15-2006, 12:27 PM
    Pork Chops N' Corn Bread
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Razaiel
    He looks a very healthy monitor, though, Jake. I've seen your video of him eating his mice and all your pics. Maybe he could be a slightly smaller than average monitor.

Who knows. I didn't feed him nearly enough when he was smaller so I think thats probably the main reason. I just wonder how big he will get. Savs don't live very long do they? 10 years or so
  • 07-16-2006, 02:03 AM
    Razaiel
    I think 10-15 years is what most of the caresheets say, unfortunately not many in captivity (it appears) live that long.
  • 07-18-2006, 11:32 AM
    Colin Vestrand
    that's funny to me - only a herper would consider a 10-15 year lifespan "not that long"...