Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,288

1 members and 3,287 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Dubias Questions

Printable View

• 04-02-2015, 11:25 AM
    PitOnTheProwl
    Dubias Questions
    How big are your colonies and what are you using for watering?

I currently have 3 27 gallon totes going and they are super over populated LoL
    These totes <----

I am using these auto waterers from Walmart but they are a pain in the butt to clean.
    Plus they take a ton of water crystals compaired to the other waterer that I have.
    Van-Ness-Auto-Waterer

Just looking for different ideas from those willing to share.
  • 04-02-2015, 01:11 PM
    John1982
    Re: Dubias Questions
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    How big are your colonies and what are you using for watering?

I currently have 3 27 gallon totes going and they are super over populated LoL
    These totes <----

I am using these auto waterers from Walmart but they are a pain in the butt to clean.
    Plus they take a ton of water crystals compaired to the other waterer that I have.
    Van-Ness-Auto-Waterer

Just looking for different ideas from those willing to share.

I used about the same size container for my single colony of discoids. Whenever my bin started to overcrowd, once or twice a year, I'd freeze off about half the adults and a good bunch of nymphs. These frozen roaches were then used to mix into premade meals for tegus, tortoises, turtles and the rest were tossed to the chickens. I used water crystals for the first year or two but ended up dropping the watering system completely. Instead I just made sure there was always some fresh fruit available - citrus works well for this and was my personal staple - and my colony did fine. If anything their production increased as a result.
  • 04-02-2015, 02:10 PM
    Sauzo
    I use a 50 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck bin and just use a large reptile dish for water crystals. My colony was huge with at least 1000 adult females and about 5k+ nymphs but I thinned it out by selling a ton of them on CLs.
  • 04-02-2015, 02:49 PM
    MarkS
    I don't water at all, I use veggies and fruit for moisture and my colonies have been going well for years.
  • 04-02-2015, 03:00 PM
    Marissa@MKmorphs
    Re: Dubias Questions
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I don't water at all, I use veggies and fruit for moisture and my colonies have been going well for years.

I have a small colony that I just started and only use fruits and veggies as well.
  • 04-02-2015, 03:35 PM
    PitOnTheProwl
    Veggies go to all my wifes dragons and chuckwalla.
    My roaches get whatever is the cheapest dog food and all the powder from the rodent blocks.
  • 04-02-2015, 03:52 PM
    MarkS
    I always seem to get a population boom when I toss in a few oranges.
  • 04-02-2015, 04:11 PM
    Sauzo
    I actually feed mine Alfalfa pellets soaked in water to soften them up and Scratch and Peck brand organic non GMO and soybean and corn free starter chick mash. They also get all the veggies and fruits the beardie and us eat as well. The dang roaches eat better than I do :P