Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,288

2 members and 3,286 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Good pets?

Printable View

• 10-19-2004, 09:44 PM
    sk8er4life
    Do savannah monitors make good pets?

how big is their enclosur have 2 be when full grown?
  • 10-22-2004, 12:25 PM
    Python-77
    In a word No, monitors in general are tempermental nasty reptiles I have seen 1 that was really friendly but I still never trusted it. Their enclosure should be pretty big as the get pretty big.
  • 10-22-2004, 01:18 PM
    led4urhead
    I wouldnt give a definitive No, but they definitely require some special husbandry and precautions. I would imagine they require some specific light and heat requirements and a steady diet just like any reptile. I firmly believe that the way your reptiles are treated as alot to do with their dispositions.
  • 10-22-2004, 01:20 PM
    Jeanne
    YES- Savannas can make great pets if you are willing to go the extra mile in caring for them. They ARE NOT for beginners tho. They do require pretty large housing and they can get expensive to feed and they DO require special lighting. If you are considering a savanna, I suggest you do alot of reading on this species BEFORE you purchase one, as I said before, they are not for beginners. Monitor species in general can be tempermental, so dont expect it to be as tame as a dog or willing to be your best friend like a dog. But, let us also keep in mind, there are other monitor species out there that stay smaller and may be less tempermental. Reptiles in general, "tolerate" handling by thier keepers, a savanna is no different, but keep in mind, they do have a nasty bite. I had a savanna, he was fine with me, but not so nice to others in my household... I thought he made a good pet for ME, but whether a savanna is a good pet for you...cant answer that one. That is something you would have to judge for yourself after reading and hearing others accounts on thier care and all. We have many great members who have experience with monitors, so hopefully they will feel free to chime in on thier experiences.