Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,311

1 members and 3,310 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Rats need to go

Printable View

• 04-26-2019, 11:51 AM
    babytigger1113
    Rats need to go
    So 5 months ago I got 2 feeders. Didn’t know I got a male and female. Well the breeding took place and now the adults that were meant for feeding are too big for my snakes (they were the right size but have since grew since my snakes went on a 5 month hunger strike). What can I do with them? I’m already keeping most of the now 4 month old babies for food and a few as pets but I don’t know what to do with the adults. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 04-26-2019, 11:52 AM
    FollowTheSun
    You can just separate them so they don't breed anymore and keep them for their natural lives, (which is not very long), or you can sell them on Craigslist as feeders.
  • 04-26-2019, 12:05 PM
    Craiga 01453
    You could humanely euthanize them and then freeze them as well.
  • 04-26-2019, 12:30 PM
    Bogertophis
    If they're handled as pets, you could advertise (free) thru bulletin boards in vet offices, or if you consider them feeders (don't care what the outcome is),
    offer them back to pet store- not saying they'll buy them but they may accept them. Really up to you...even a free/cheap local ad for a breeding pair will likely
    sell them.
  • 04-27-2019, 08:15 AM
    pbenner
    Re: Rats need to go
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If they're handled as pets, you could advertise (free) thru bulletin boards in vet offices, or if you consider them feeders (don't care what the outcome is),
    offer them back to pet store- not saying they'll buy them but they may accept them. Really up to you...even a free/cheap local ad for a breeding pair will likely
    sell them.

Free pet rats become snake food more often than not. My live rats that I sell as pets are sold at $15/head minimum as I won't sell someone else live feeders.

Paul
  • 04-27-2019, 11:13 AM
    Bogertophis
    Re: Rats need to go
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenner View Post
    Free pet rats become snake food more often than not. My live rats that I sell as pets are sold at $15/head minimum as I won't sell someone else live feeders.

Paul

I agree, & for what it's worth, I meant the ADVERTISING on a vet's bulletin board is free, I didn't say "give them away". Even that is no guarantee, of course. :rolleyes:

Where I live there's a local "Trading Post" on the radio with free ads online on their site...many communities may have a similar way to advertise cheaply.
  • 07-30-2019, 01:22 PM
    303_enfield
    Freeze them an give, trade, sell them to another snake keeper. Or get bigger snakers:D