Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,467

2 members and 3,465 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 10-27-2017, 02:20 AM
    zina10
    aw man, so cute , so cute !!!!
    :)
  • 10-27-2017, 09:47 AM
    Prognathodon
    Jack the Russian Rat Snake/elaphe schrenckii (progression)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    So far though, he still only eats if I leave the prey item in his tub, but he eats it right away. He hasn't struck at the prey when I offered yet. I think I'm still too big and scary right now.

My husband’s VBB and King Rat are the same way for feeding, and both are big boys. May be an Old World ratsnake thing, or a Zerkle-snake thing. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 10-27-2017, 12:05 PM
    BluuWolf
    Re: Jack the Russian Rat Snake/elaphe schrenckii (progression)
    So cute! I'm so jealous! Its crazy how you can already tell how inqusitive he is even at such a young age.

You say you've been holding him daily, is that typical to do to keep a colubrid tame? I'm only used to holding my BPs weekly but am for sure getting a old world colubrid soon hopefully (Although sadly not a Russian Rat) I would love to try and keep them tame as they get big as well.

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk
  • 10-27-2017, 03:44 PM
    redshepherd
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    My husband’s VBB and King Rat are the same way for feeding, and both are big boys. May be an Old World ratsnake thing, or a Zerkle-snake thing. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interesting! I wonder if Zerkle leaves the prey in their enclosure, so that's what they're use to. LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluuWolf View Post
    So cute! I'm so jealous! Its crazy how you can already tell how inqusitive he is even at such a young age.

You say you've been holding him daily, is that typical to do to keep a colubrid tame? I'm only used to holding my BPs weekly but am for sure getting a old world colubrid soon hopefully (Although sadly not a Russian Rat) I would love to try and keep them tame as they get big as well.

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk

It depends on the colubrid species, just like it depends on python/boa species. Russian Rat Snakes are known to be naturally docile and inquisitive, especially as they get older, but I'm just holding daily for now since my tiny one was so shy... and testing to see if it helps haha, which it does appear to be. Many other old worlds are more defensive, and just can't become docile/tame like a BP or russian rat snake would because it's not in their nature. Many tend to be require more "advanced" handling skills.
  • 11-07-2017, 11:38 PM
    redshepherd
    The kid's already noticeably bigger than when I got him 3 weeks ago! It's noticeable in person probably more than photos. He doesn't feel quite as fragile of a mushy worm anymore. I'm glad to see him growing fairly quickly!

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...2zso1_1280.jpg
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...2zso2_1280.jpg
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...2zso3_1280.jpg
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...2zso4_1280.jpg
  • 11-08-2017, 12:36 AM
    MissterDog
    I'm totally looking forward to his future color changes as he continues to grow! Curious how many grams he weighs lol Cutie as always!
  • 11-08-2017, 02:14 PM
    redshepherd
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    I'm totally looking forward to his future color changes as he continues to grow! Curious how many grams he weighs lol Cutie as always!

I’m curious too! Maybe I’ll weigh him today. I’m guessing 30g. LOL
  • 11-08-2017, 02:41 PM
    BallPythonWannaBe
    So cute!
  • 11-16-2017, 02:02 PM
    hilabeans
    Bump :)

Want an update - how's Jack doing? Bonsai has taken to his hide for the last 1.5 weeks and we miss him very much. He went blue and his eyes are now clear, so I'm assuming he'll shed soon. We've been resisting the urge to pester him, but it's bumming us out not to see him.

Has Jack had a shed with you yet? If yes, did he disappear for days while he went thru the process? Any recent pics to share?
  • 11-16-2017, 02:12 PM
    redshepherd
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    Bump :)

Want an update - how's Jack doing? Bonsai has taken to his hide for the last 1.5 weeks and we miss him very much. He went blue and his eyes are now clear, so I'm assuming he'll shed soon. We've been resisting the urge to pester him, but it's bumming us out not to see him.

Has Jack had a shed with you yet? If yes, did he disappear for days while he went thru the process? Any recent pics to share?

Hey! Yeah, Jack also spends the majority of his time in the hide. :D Hatchlings are tiny and shy, so I'd guess they're going to be ball pythons for awhile until they gain some size. He's shed with me once, and he hid during shedding too.

Jack was also active for the first few days he arrived here, nervously checking out the new environment and making sure I won't eat him. LOL