Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,159

3 members and 3,156 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Boa for Birthday!

Printable View

• 01-19-2018, 03:25 AM
    KMG
    Re: Boa for Birthday!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Funny you mention the LED from AP. I only use mine for 10 min here & there when I clean the enclosure and one of mine are already flickers and dimming. Must have 2 hrs on them total.

I run mine every day all day during daylight hours. No issues, no flickering, no dimming.
  • 01-19-2018, 03:28 AM
    KMG
    OP, like it's been said don't go cheap on the tstat. I would say a VE is the lowest you should go but like many others I'm a Herpstat user. I have a 4, 2 and two 1s. So have given me great service with no issues. They control uth, rhp, and lights for me.
  • 01-19-2018, 05:16 AM
    Team Slytherin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BoaBoy View Post
    Thank you all for the responses. I agree with the term “one snake is never enough”, but one snake is probaly gonna be it for me until I move out. I have been really looking into dumeril boas as they are so puppy dog tame, and while a little smaller than BCI’s still very impressive with their girth.

They are a fantastic species to work with. Mine has the calmest disposition of any snake I've ever met (though she started out a little jumpy). I literally fell asleep holding her last night and she never even moved. They're also very slow growing, so you'll have plenty of time to figure out its adult enclosure.

I think you'll be totally stoked with whatever species you choose. You've obviously done your research and are prepared for your new baby, so I can't wait to see what you pick!
  • 01-19-2018, 10:59 AM
    Jus1More
    Quote:

Thank you all for the responses. I agree with the term “one snake is never enough”, but one snake is probaly gonna be it for me until I move out. I have been really looking into dumeril boas as they are so puppy dog tame, and while a little smaller than BCI’s still very impressive with their girth.

Good choice! I was deciding between the Dumeril and Hog Island Boa. Went with the hypo-Hog because I am a fan of lighter colors. Good luck and post pictures once you get him or her.
  • 01-19-2018, 05:12 PM
    BoaBoy
    So I have created a more official supplies list.

Enclosure - AP T8 (Sliding Doors) + Locks, Heat Tape, and Stand
    Thermostat - Herpstat 1
    Water Dish - Large Crock Dish
    Bedding - Aspen
    Hide - Reptile Basics Large or Medium
    Lighting - 32" Led Strip + Power Supply
    Extra - Feeding Tongs, Cheap Digital Scale(Maybe) and Two Digital Thermometers/Hydrometers

Snake - Dumeril Boa or Albino Columbian Red Tail Boa
  • 01-19-2018, 06:38 PM
    CALM Pythons
    Quote:

Thermostat - Herpstat 1
    Bedding - Aspen
    Extra - Feeding Tongs, Cheap Digital Scale(Maybe) and Two Digital Thermometers/Hydrometers

Good list. If i were you id skip the AP stand for the enclosure. They are only 8" off the ground and that sticks for viewing and laying on the floor trying to clean. Wait and look at some kind of used wooden TV stand or coffee Table or maybe your parents have a old coffee table you can spray paint... At least that way you can store things under it ect.. Just my 2€ [emoji4]

Here is just a example of what i mean. Its 22" high and 54" wide... There are several different styles out there. Just cant use Glass ones.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...545507ecf1.png

And here is a homemade stand I did for my T12's.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...bc26e6e165.jpg
  • 01-19-2018, 06:50 PM
    SDA
    For a beginner boa don't forget the Rosy Boa. Super entertaining and can be an amazing mellow snake. They are also some of the longest living of the boas.
  • 01-19-2018, 07:31 PM
    Sauzo
    Quote:

Thermostat - Herpstat 1
    Bedding - Aspen

Looks good but i would add a shelf for sure. Like i mentioned, its a cheap way to add more footage to your cages. I would probably swap out the stand for the shelf if you are looking at the AP stands. They are nice and i have 3 of them but if you only have 1 cage, you are better off just going to Lowes or Home Depot and picking up a 4x2 folding table for like $40 and a sheet of sanded 4x2 plywood. The you can spray paint it black to match the cages. If you look at my pic i posted, you can see i use 1/2 inch sheet for my 4x2 cages and 3/4 inch for my 6x3 cages.