Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,207

1 members and 3,206 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Any coffee buffs in here?

Printable View

• 05-31-2020, 08:52 PM
    Kerimac
    Re: Any coffee buffs in here?
    Death Wish Coffee is strong. Bustelo is strong as well, and very finely ground. It's espresso ground. Makes really good iced coffee though if you like that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • 05-31-2020, 09:43 PM
    dakski
    Yeah, I am way into coffee.

I do pour over for single origin coffee and have a crazy drip/pour over coffee maker for blends.

If you want the nuance of the coffee, go with medium blends even if you like strong coffee. How the coffee is brewed has more to do with the strength then the roasting method, IMO. A well ground and well brewed medium roast tastes better than a BOLD or heavy roast any day.

Finally, the grinding is very important, as is the temperature of the water.

I've invested too much into this, but you want a conical grinder, not a two blade.

https://www.breville.com/us/en/produ...rs/bcg820.html

The above is what I have. I do pour over, use the coffee machine below, and french press. So the size of the ground as well as being consistent and properly ground is pivotal.

https://www.oxo.com/categories/coffe...fee-maker.html

If you had to invest in one thing, I would recommend the grinder. You will be shocked what a difference it makes.

Having said that, I am assuming you limit your coffee brewing temp to about 200-205F and do not boil it. If you do boil your water, then nothing else you do matters and you will ruin the coffee anyway.

Finally, grind the coffee right before you brew it.
  • 06-01-2020, 04:32 PM
    dr del
    Yeah,

I'm going to have to experiment a bit with the grind and let the water cool a little bit longer than I did this morning.

All I achieved was a blister on one finger and a cup that looked right but tasted of very little. Looked up some recipies to try tomorrow that have a longer bloom time and brew time using the inverted method and am also going to try the fine metal filter.

I also need a bigger scale than the one I used to use for baby cresties. :rolleyes:

del
  • 07-10-2020, 11:47 AM
    jmcrook
    Not sure if you’re still working on your coffee game, Del, but here are some videos from an outstanding coffee roastery in St. Louis and now Nashville as well. Small, carefully made considerations make for an excellent cup of coffee as Dakski explained.

https://www.sumpcoffee.com/pages/videos

My morning dose today, brewed as a pour over.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...cc1536bb27.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 07-13-2020, 04:06 PM
    MasonC2K
    I discovered a year ago that whole bean coffee was much cheaper than ground coffee. I already had a milling blade for my Nurtibullet so I have been grinding for a year or so. Currently drinking Guatemalan coffee. Very good.
  • 07-15-2020, 12:04 AM
    scarThePiedBall
    Not to mention ground coffee from stores is probably already stale. I drink too much coffee, so much I decided to get into roasting it. I find myself purchasing a few different origins and figuring out blends based on the bean profiles. I have 100% ruined getting coffee at most places....unless I know where they get it from and if there's an espresso machine. I take my Aeropress with me when I go camping....it's a great little device that makes a great cup and doesn't cost a lot. Hmmmm, all this coffee talk is making me thirsty!
  • 07-15-2020, 12:45 AM
    jmcrook
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scarThePiedBall View Post
    Not to mention ground coffee from stores is probably already stale

Exactly. If you didn’t grind it immediately before brewing, you ground it too soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk