Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,811

2 members and 1,809 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

jpriebe2 (44)

» Stats

Members: 75,143
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jennifer660

my poorly precious

Printable View

• 08-12-2005, 03:06 PM
    matt
    my poorly precious
    can anyone help please,

i have a year old boa, named precious very pretty, but she has a cold at the momentandi am not sure what to do for her.

she is due a shed, which is why i think she did not eat 6 days ago??
    she is also just getting over a bad mite problem.

she (i think she is a she) is normally a very good feeder and has not mised a feed since i have had her (about 3 months) and always feeds regaurdless of shedding.also she has littlewhite flecks all over her body ???
    i would be gratefull for any help thanks
  • 08-12-2005, 03:15 PM
    daniel1983
    Re: my poorly precious
    If you think she has a 'cold', most likely she has a respiratory infection. I would take her to the vet ASAP to get her checked out. An untreated respiratory infection can lead to serious illness or death if left untreated.
  • 08-12-2005, 03:17 PM
    invadertoast
    What are you temps and humidity?
  • 08-12-2005, 05:01 PM
    Lobo_Reptiles
    Mites can be white. Ticks are definitely white, but are bigger so that's probably not it with the white flecks. But, take her to the vet ASAP as the others said.
  • 08-12-2005, 05:12 PM
    SatanicIntention
    Ticks are definately NOT white. Ticks are black or brown(maybe dark red). Mites are black or brown(or dark red-blood engorged). The only white parasite I know of are lice, and I am pretty sure snakes don't get lice. The white flecks just may be her pattern or something else in the enclosure.

If you believe she has a cold, what are you seeing/hearing? Does she have bubbles coming out of her nose or mouth? Is she wheezing loudly every so often or constantly? Or is it a very low, quiet wheeze, every now and then? Sometimes snakes will make some noises when they are in shed. The loose skin makes a whistling when they breathe through their nostrils. Is she lethargic? When you take her out, does she always feel cold to the touch? (not cool, but cold).

What her temps and humidity are and how they are being provided to her are very important to the snake's wellbeing, health and immune system. Not providing proper temps(or inaccurately measuring them) can cause the snake to get sick. It takes a long time for a snake to get visibly sick, and when you start seeing these signs, the disease has usually progressed to a stage that may or may not be successfully treatable.

Please get the snake to the vet and save yourself, and the snake, alot of trouble(and perhaps heartbreak). Treating a respiratory infection early is very important so it won't come back over and over again.