Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,759

1 members and 2,758 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
  • 11-14-2019, 01:12 PM
    wnateg
    Stop Using a Drill On Tubs!
    Holy moly, I normally use a drill for vent holes on tubs, but I decided to order a cheap soldering iron on amazon to try it, and it was so much cleaner and easier. I mean I've seen posts that suggest using them, but it was not clear to me how much better they work than drilling. I feel like a new world as been opened to me. It was way faster and no worries about damaging / cracking the tub. I have to make a lot of holes in the tub to keep the humidity low enough, so when drilling, it's a guarantee I'll go a little to fast and crack it, so this helps so much.

This is the one I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N413T8U

$10! And the tip is about the same size as what I'd normally drill.

Rant over
  • 11-14-2019, 01:37 PM
    67temp
    I agree a soldering iron makes a world of difference. Make sure you do it in a well ventilated area!

Harbor freight has them for $4. Multiple ones hooked together makes it go even faster.
  • 11-14-2019, 01:43 PM
    Sanyassin
    Re: Stop Using a Drill On Tubs!
    Cheap to buy and perfect for the job.
  • 11-14-2019, 02:22 PM
    Bogertophis
    That's exactly like the one I have...I totally agree! EASY! Just do this outside (garage or porch) with good ventilation, as the burning plastic fumes are TOXIC. :gj:
  • 11-14-2019, 03:29 PM
    wnateg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's exactly like the one I have...I totally agree! EASY! Just do this outside (garage or porch) with good ventilation, as the burning plastic fumes are TOXIC. :gj:

I may have poisoned myself a little then! Live (maybe?) and learn.
  • 11-14-2019, 04:38 PM
    RickyNY
    Nah thanks! I can live without toxic fumes.
    I use a drill and I get clean holes as well. You need to learn how to use a drill bit.
  • 11-14-2019, 04:48 PM
    wnateg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RickyNY View Post
    Nah thanks! I can live without toxic fumes.
    I use a drill and I get clean holes as well. You need to learn how to use a drill bit.

I've done a lot worse things than breath a little melted plastic, but you do you.
  • 11-14-2019, 05:08 PM
    Gocntry
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    Holy moly, I normally use a drill for vent holes on tubs, but I decided to order a cheap soldering iron on amazon to try it, and it was so much cleaner and easier. I mean I've seen posts that suggest using them, but it was not clear to me how much better they work than drilling. I feel like a new world as been opened to me. It was way faster and no worries about damaging / cracking the tub. I have to make a lot of holes in the tub to keep the humidity low enough, so when drilling, it's a guarantee I'll go a little to fast and crack it, so this helps so much.

This is the one I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N413T8U

$10! And the tip is about the same size as what I'd normally drill.

Rant over

Well this is my new thing I learned today.... No more drilling plastic, Thanks for the tip and the link!!
  • 11-15-2019, 08:45 AM
    RickyNY
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    I've done a lot worse things than breath a little melted plastic, but you do you.

I'm pretty sure you have. You little rascal!:oops:
  • 11-15-2019, 11:11 AM
    wnateg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RickyNY View Post
    I'm pretty sure you have. You little rascal!:oops:

Imagine confrontation in a thread about a $10 soldering iron.