Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,140

0 members and 1,140 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,578
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
  • 02-10-2006, 05:08 PM
    daniel1983
    How to become FedEx Certified to ship reptiles....
    Becoming FedEx Certified

The process of becoming a qualified reptile shipper with FedEx is very simple. I have compiled a list to take people through the process.

1. Set up a FedEx account. Setting up an account is very simple. Go to http://www.fedex.com/us/ and click the ‘Open an account’ link. Follow the directions provided. Make sure you write down you account number because you will need it in the following steps.

2. Find your FedEx account representative. I did this by calling 1-800-GO-FEDEX. You will need to say. …TECHNICAL SUPPORT…REP. You will understand that when you make the call. Ask the representative to have your FedEx account representative call you. Then wait for the call. You will not be able to really do anything at this point, but make sure you get the contact info and fax number of your representative. You will need this information later after you get your test package results back.

3. Prepare your shipping box for inspection and testing. You will need to set up a box identical to the way you would set it up for shipping a reptile (but without the reptile). An over box can be used to protect you box, just be sure to write OVER BOX on the outer box.

4. Download this application and fill it out appropriately. http://www.fedex.com/us/services/pdf...pplication.pdf

5. Contact FedEx Packaging Design and Development Services at 1-800-633-7019 and get the account number that will pay for the test package shipping. You do not have to pay to have the test package shipped, so this call can save you some money.

6. Now you just have to wait to receive your test results. If you pass, call your FedEx account representative. The rep will ask you to fax them a copy of the paper saying that you have passed(or in most cases they will already have it). From this point, the rep will take care of getting the appropriate legal paperwork together. You will not be 'verified' to ship the reptiles until you sign these legal documents.

7. Once you receive the paperwork, you will have to sign your name a few places then send it back to your rep. Your rep should then notify you when everything has went through and you are approved.
  • 02-10-2006, 05:11 PM
    daniel1983
    Re: Becoming FedEx Certified....
    Does that look right to you all.....how does it sound April? I am working on getting together some pics and proper shipping information that we can ad seperatly and link from step 3 later.

I figured it would be a good 'sticky' in the general herp section.....or even a new Business forum, if Matt would be up for it and you all think it would be a good idea :)
  • 02-10-2006, 05:20 PM
    Smulkin
    Excellent.

Let me know if there are any other areas of the site you think it would fit (DIY or FAQ in "sections" for example and I'd be happy to do that.
  • 02-10-2006, 05:34 PM
    daniel1983
    Ya...I was having trouble figuring out where it would fit.....I thought General Herp first...ha ha....but I just do not know...but thats why there is a bunch of us..more people to help with decisions. :)
  • 02-10-2006, 05:42 PM
    Smulkin
    And at worst (or best?) we could put it in sections PLUS make a sticky in the forums that linked right to it.
  • 02-10-2006, 06:26 PM
    Jeanne
    House it in the FAQ or DIY part of the site, then make stickies in each forum to link to that. Then there is no way someone should miss it.
  • 02-10-2006, 09:15 PM
    Shelby
    Sounds perfect. I wonder why I didn't think of doing this. lol
  • 02-10-2006, 10:30 PM
    rabernet
    Re: How to become FedEx Certified to ship reptiles....
    EXCELLENT! Thank you for doing this! I had saved a link from Fauna where someone had posted something similar. Nice to know now that I can look for a sticky here when I'm ready to get set up! Thank you again!
  • 02-11-2006, 04:16 AM
    MedusasOwl
    Awesome, thank you for that, I've been wondering! We plan on moving eventually (prolly not for a couple of years tho) and shipping may need to be an option, so I'm really grateful to know where to find this when the time comes!
  • 02-11-2006, 12:26 PM
    amg20102006
    I just called my local rep and left a message. Is dhl any good to ship through because you can certified though them.
  • 02-11-2006, 12:27 PM
    amg20102006
    Also where does everyone get thier boxes and heat packs from?
  • 02-11-2006, 01:26 PM
    Adam_Wysocki
    Quote:

Originally Posted by amg20102006
    I just called my local rep and left a message. Is dhl any good to ship through because you can certified though them.

DHL does not knowingly ship reptiles.

And their service is horrible. I know more people that have lost animals through DHL than every other shipper combined.

-adam
  • 02-11-2006, 02:36 PM
    daniel1983
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    DHL does not knowingly ship reptiles.

And their service is horrible. I know more people that have lost animals through DHL than every other shipper combined.

-adam

Actually DHL does allow some reptiles(nonvenomous lizards, turtles,and frogs) to be shipped (similarly to UPS), but you have to sign a waiver saying that you assume all responsibilities if something is to go wrong and they do not allow snakes. I have the waiver from both UPS and DHL if you want it :)

Just a little bit of the DHL Small Live Animal user agreement:

Quote:

1. It is DHL’s standard policy not to accept Live Animals for transport, as policy set forth in DHL’s Terms and Conditions of Carriage, available at www.dhl.com. However, DHL will accept such shipments upon Customer’s express agreement that the Terms and Conditions of Carriage are modified to include shipments of Live Animals. DHL shall accept such shipments to domestic destinations only, not to any international destinations.

2. DHL’s Terms and Conditions of Carriage shall govern and control each shipment of Live Animals, including the limitations of liability in the event of loss, damage, misdelivery or non-delivery of any such shipment. DHL’s maximum liability for each shipment of Live Animals is $100 (one hundred dollars). Customer assumes any exposure to and risk of loss in excess of this amount. DHL shall not under any circumstances be liable for delays in transit, or for any indirect or consequential damages.

3. Customer shall package all shipments of Live Animals to ensure safe transportation in handling and safeguard the integrity of the shipments. Customer acknowledges that the shipments do not require and will not receive any temperature controls, special routing, distinctive labeling, or protective handling by DHL.

4. Any designation of declared value in excess of $100 (one hundred dollars) shall be of no force and effect. Shipment Value Protection is not available for the shipments. Furthermore, Customer agrees to waive all subrogation rights against DHL under any policy of insurance in which Customer is the named insured, and shall indemnify DHL against any loss arising out of Customer’s failure to obtain such a waiver. Furthermore, DHL shall not be liable for any damages, whether direct or indirect, resulting from perishing of the shipments.

5. DHL may cancel this agreement at any time and for any reason by providing written notice.
    But personally....after all the horrible DHL shipping stories that I have heard and one personal experience with a live animal shipment with DHL....I would never consider doing business with them.

FedEx is the way to go when shipping reptiles.
  • 02-11-2006, 02:45 PM
    amg20102006
    what size box does everyone use from www.superiorenterprise.com ? ALso what heat pack and container when you send your test package.
  • 02-11-2006, 02:54 PM
    daniel1983
    use whatever size box that the snake you are shipping needs (i.e. don't ship a 6 foot long snake in a 12"x9" box).....and 40 hour heat packs at a minimum, just incase there is somekinda mixup in the shipping.

Like I said....once my test package comes back and I take a few more pics. I will type up a "How to properly ship reptiles" article for the site :) ....then all of your questions will be answered.
  • 02-11-2006, 03:17 PM
    amg20102006
    what size would you use for an adult ball python? what size did you send in for testing?
  • 02-11-2006, 04:43 PM
    daniel1983
    I would use the 15 3/4 x 15 3/4 x 7 3/4, 3/4" foam for shipping adults. I sent a smaller (12x12x10, 1" foam ) for testing. I do not plan on selling any adult ball pythons anytime soon, so I figured that box would be appropriate for hatchlings to around 500 grams.
  • 02-11-2006, 04:45 PM
    amg20102006
    then did you use a snake bag or a deli cup and what size? I am just trying to get everything right.
  • 02-11-2006, 05:10 PM
    daniel1983
    For snakes use the 12 X 20 bags....that way I have enough bag so that they can be tied shut, then rubberbanded, then taped. If I was shipping lizards, I would use deli cups.
  • 02-12-2006, 12:58 AM
    Shelby
    I sent in a 12x9x6" box. It'll take several 4.5" deli cups, and a couple 6" cups. A moderate size snake could go in a bag in there.
  • 06-17-2006, 03:49 AM
    MedusasOwl
    Question: What's the difference between a personal and a buisness account with FedEx, and does it matter which one you set up in relation to reptile shipping? Also, does anyone know if I can change it to a buisness account later when I have more of my ducks in a row (aka am a "listed" buisness?), or should I just ask the account manager that when I call?

I plan on getting that all done next week, and I've got all the animal care/customer service stuff down, it's just the technical paperwork details that are throwing me a bit. Good thing Karen's going to school for an accounting degree, lol. :rolleyes:
  • 06-17-2006, 07:28 AM
    jglass38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MedusasOwl
    Question: What's the difference between a personal and a buisness account with FedEx, and does it matter which one you set up in relation to reptile shipping? Also, does anyone know if I can change it to a buisness account later when I have more of my ducks in a row (aka am a "listed" buisness?), or should I just ask the account manager that when I call?

I plan on getting that all done next week, and I've got all the animal care/customer service stuff down, it's just the technical paperwork details that are throwing me a bit. Good thing Karen's going to school for an accounting degree, lol. :rolleyes:

Just set it up as a business account. First off, they don't ask for any information other than the business name and second, the terms of the live reptile shipping only allows "business to business" shipments so anything else is technically a violation anyway.
  • 06-17-2006, 11:24 AM
    MedusasOwl
    Gotcha! Thanks, Jamie! :)
  • 08-02-2006, 09:04 PM
    Regal Boids
    I also had a question. Do I have to have a heat pack tapped to the top? If I just put a piece of tap where I would put it and write " Heat tape would be here in the winter ". Do you think that would be alright or should I just get one and use it?
  • 08-03-2006, 09:38 AM
    daniel1983
    I would get one and use it. I like to tape my heat packs and cool packs to a side.
  • 08-03-2006, 12:47 PM
    JenHarrison
    If the rules stipulate only "business to business" shipping, then how are breeders/sellers shipping snakes to personal buyers?
  • 08-03-2006, 01:12 PM
    daniel1983
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JenHarrison
    If the rules stipulate only "business to business" shipping, then how are breeders/sellers shipping snakes to personal buyers?

If I were shipping something to you....I would be shipping it to Harrison Reptiles ;)
  • 08-03-2006, 01:18 PM
    JenHarrison
    LOL! Cheater...:P

Does the package get delivered to a house under a business name or does the buyer have to pick it up somewhere?

That's actually what I was contemplating using as my business name eventually...anyone know if it has been used yet?
  • 10-28-2006, 04:40 PM
    BaLLPAddICT
    when your account rep calls you back all you ask for is contact info? or do you tell them that your going to be getting fedex verified or something?
  • 10-28-2006, 05:07 PM
    daniel1983
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BaLLPAddICT
    when your account rep calls you back all you ask for is contact info? or do you tell them that your going to be getting fedex verified or something?

You contact Fedex and speak to a Fedex representative. Ask for your account representitive(which is different than your fedex rep...usually someone local) to give you a call back(Fedex does not distribute rep phone numbers). Once your account rep. calls you, get his contact info and explain to him what you are doing (getting the legal waiver to ship harmless reptiles), so that he can prepare stuff on his end and keep an eye out for your testing results.
  • 10-28-2006, 05:22 PM
    lillyorchid
    Thank you so much for posting this, I'm bookmarking it!
  • 10-28-2006, 06:03 PM
    Emilio
    I finally got someone to really help me at fed ex , The service rep told me should would call me next week to see if the rep called me.
  • 11-07-2006, 10:36 PM
    West Coast Jungle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daniel1983
    Becoming FedEx Certified

The process of becoming a qualified reptile shipper with FedEx is very simple. I have compiled a list to take people through the process.

1. Set up a FedEx account. Setting up an account is very simple. Go to http://www.fedex.com/us/ and click the ‘Open an account’ link. Follow the directions provided. Make sure you write down you account number because you will need it in the following steps.

2. Find your FedEx account representative. I did this by calling 1-800-GO-FEDEX. You will need to say. …TECHNICAL SUPPORT…REP. You will understand that when you make the call. Ask the representative to have your FedEx account representative call you. Then wait for the call. You will not be able to really do anything at this point, but make sure you get the contact info and fax number of your representative. You will need this information later after you get your test package results back.

3. Prepare your shipping box for inspection and testing. You will need to set up a box identical to the way you would set it up for shipping a reptile (but without the reptile). An over box can be used to protect you box, just be sure to write OVER BOX on the outer box.

4. Download this application and fill it out appropriately. http://www.fedex.com/us/services/pdf...pplication.pdf

5. Contact FedEx Packaging Design and Development Services at 1-800-633-7019 and get the account number that will pay for the test package shipping. You do not have to pay to have the test package shipped, so this call can save you some money.

6. Now you just have to wait to receive your test results. If you pass, call your FedEx account representative. The rep will ask you to fax them a copy of the paper saying that you have passed(or in most cases they will already have it). From this point, the rep will take care of getting the appropriate legal paperwork together. You will not be 'verified' to ship the reptiles until you sign these legal documents.

7. Once you receive the paperwork, you will have to sign your name a few places then send it back to your rep. Your rep should then notify you when everything has went through and you are approved.

• 11-07-2006, 10:40 PM
    West Coast Jungle
    I'm new to the site and one of the first things I read was your Fed Ex info and found it extremely helpful. I wanted to thank you and look foward to all the great info to share with other snake and reptile people. :rockon:
  • 11-07-2006, 10:52 PM
    daniel1983
    Quote:

Originally Posted by westcoastjungle
    I'm new to the site and one of the first things I read was your Fed Ex info and found it extremely helpful. I wanted to thank you and look foward to all the great info to share with other snake and reptile people. :rockon:

Thanks for the appreciation and welcome to the forum! :handshake
  • 11-10-2006, 07:04 PM
    Regal Boids
    I just sent off my test package! I hope it gets approved.

-Andre
  • 11-10-2006, 07:26 PM
    BaLLPAddICT
    ok thanks daniel.. i have created an account and you said write down the account #.. is that the name i signed up with? because i couldnt find any number..
  • 11-10-2006, 09:19 PM
    daniel1983
    I just said write down your account number because it usually saves a few minutes time when you are handling the other steps. If you created your account online, sign on and click on 'my profile' and you can get your account number.
  • 11-11-2006, 12:25 AM
    BaLLPAddICT
    ahhh i see.. how come it says not available? (N/A)
  • 11-16-2006, 04:48 PM
    daniel1983
    Maybe your account is not active yet....but I really have no idea why it does not show up. I would suggest calling Fedex and talking to someone.
  • 11-16-2006, 08:50 PM
    BaLLPAddICT
    ok thanks! i will do that..
  • 11-17-2006, 11:44 AM
    lillyorchid
    A few questions. I'm waiting for my rep to call me back. :)

Where can I get the styrofoam inserts and heating packs? Also can anyone tell me which ones fedex would like us to use?
  • 11-17-2006, 12:27 PM
    daniel1983
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lillyorchid
    Where can I get the styrofoam inserts and heating packs? Also can anyone tell me which ones fedex would like us to use?

Here you go ;) This is who the majority of people use:

http://www.superiorenterprise.com/

Fedex does not care which one you use.......as long as it passes the testing process you are good. Use the box that best suits what you are shipping ;)
  • 11-27-2006, 04:40 PM
    Rapture
    Quote:

I went to do this step and the woman I talked to had no idea what I was talking about... Do you think they will know when I drop the box off at the Fed Ex location?
  • 11-27-2006, 06:35 PM
    daniel1983
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapture
    I went to do this step and the woman I talked to had no idea what I was talking about... Do you think they will know when I drop the box off at the Fed Ex location?

What exactly did you ask them? I have never had a problem. I call say I am sending a package for testing and they give me the account number....

...people at the Fed Ex location sometimes have no clue.
  • 11-27-2006, 07:14 PM
    Rapture
    Well... I dialed the number and pressed 4 to speak to customer service and the woman had no idea what I was talking about. So I thought maybe they would at the location... but the woman there was just as clueless and told me to go to one of the Kinko locations. Instead, I got back in my car and called up the number again, but this time I pressed 5, acting like I was checking on the status of a test, and the guy there gave me the account number. So it's all sent out and I can just wait for results. :)
  • 11-27-2006, 07:49 PM
    daniel1983
    Glad to hear you got it squared away. Sometimes with Fedex (or any shipping company) it is just gettting the right person on the phone ;)
  • 11-27-2006, 08:11 PM
    Rapture
    Yeah... I knew I wasn't going the route I probably technically should have... but I found someone who would know what I was talking about... :P
  • 11-27-2006, 09:26 PM
    joyful girl
    does it cost anything to just sign up for an account online?
  • 11-27-2006, 09:51 PM
    Regal Boids
    nope! Rapture are you getting certified or your parents?