Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,183

0 members and 3,183 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

female killing males?

Printable View

• 01-28-2010, 06:24 PM
    het.pied
    female killing males?
    ok so i was at work the otherday and my little brother calls me to tell me that two of the mice are dead. when i get home i noticed that the dead mice were the males in the cage and their faces were torn apart. kinda looked like the creatures from tremors. well the next day at work my manager said that he use to breed mice and the females will do that when they are pregnant cause males eat the babies.

so my question here is "Is this true and if so, how can i prevent that in the future?"

also when a female is pregnant how long does it take for her to give birth?
  • 01-28-2010, 06:27 PM
    Raptor
    Re: female killing males?
    I've never had my males eat babies. Now, I've seen females eat each other's babies.
  • 01-28-2010, 08:00 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    There is no way to tell whether the female kill the males or they died from natural causes.

Fights can happen between both males and females also you will usually see more male fighting each other than male fighting females (at least to the point of severe injuries or death).

Mice are scavengers and will clean up (in other words they will eat their dead)

So is it killing, is it cleaning, is it both? Who knows.

As far as breeding there are people breeding in harem who are very successful at it (meaning the male remains with the females at all time), and some people remove the male, it's really up to YOU, try both and see which method works better for you.

Finally gestation is 21 to 23 days.
  • 01-28-2010, 08:14 PM
    het.pied
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    There is no way to tell whether the female kill the males or they died from natural causes.

Fights can happen between both males and females also you will usually see more male fighting each other than male fighting females (at least to the point of severe injuries or death).

Mice are scavengers and will clean up (in other words they will eat their dead)

So is it killing, is it cleaning, is it both? Who knows.

As far as breeding there are people breeding in harem who are very successful at it (meaning the male remains with the females at all time), and some people remove the male, it's really up to YOU, try both and see which method works better for you.

Finally gestation is 21 to 23 days.

Thank you madam!!!!