Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,236

1 members and 3,235 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Sally, lavender SD retic

Printable View

• 10-11-2018, 12:42 AM
    Dxw425
    Re: Sally, lavender SD retic
    Looking good! Congrats on the addition, post regularly so we can follow her growth!
  • 10-11-2018, 07:35 AM
    67temp
    Thanks all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakethesnake69 View Post
    Crazy difference in color from your pics and the breeders, very pretty and no doubt the pictures do little justice to the real deal. Congrats.

Yeah there is a big difference in the pics. A lot has to do with the camera quality, camera settings, and lighting. I suck with photography.
  • 10-11-2018, 11:31 PM
    Snakeboyaz
    Awesome animal! Love the names too. Did garret give you an estimate on adult size? I've always wanted a tiger or super tiger but I think 2 mainlands is enough for me and want to get one that'll stay 10-12ft max I think.
  • 10-12-2018, 07:25 AM
    67temp
    Garrett told me she should be in the 8-9' range. He also sent me pics of the mother and another similar sized female so I could better see the projected length and girth.
  • 10-12-2018, 07:55 AM
    PiperPython
    Man, an 8 or 9 foot retic is doable, but what if it ends up being 15 ft :(

I absolutely love the lavender-purple-albino-whatever-they-are-called ones. Truly stunning!
  • 10-12-2018, 08:53 AM
    Skyrivers
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PiperPython View Post
    Man, an 8 or 9 foot retic is doable, but what if it ends up being 15 ft :(

I absolutely love the lavender-purple-albino-whatever-they-are-called ones. Truly stunning!

With retics you always plan for the monster and hope for the puppy. For me size is not as important as attitude and ease of handling.

To OP... looks amazing and wish you the best as she grows. A little of advice from someone with a great retic, handle her often and work with her lots. Rainbow is easy to handle. Monty is as long as he is not in pain from a tooth ache. I am both lucky and used what I consider a good strategy to keeping them calm and easy to handle. Train with consistency.
  • 10-12-2018, 09:28 AM
    67temp
    Yup prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

She will be getting the same training my other retic got. He gets handled everyday even if it was just to take him out of the enclosure for 30 seconds then put him right back in. None of mine are hook trained, I just reach in and pick them up. They also don't get to see their food coming to build up the food response. I normally remove the animal from the enclosure and place them where they cant see. Them food goes in, followed by the snake. To them the food magically appears and I'm not viewed as the bringer of food. My male retic recently had to go to the vet and the doctor could tell right away how much he had been handled.
  • 10-12-2018, 10:06 AM
    Michelle-07
    Very nice addition! Keep us updated :)
  • 10-12-2018, 11:45 AM
    Skyrivers
    When they are hungry I don't handle them. I feed in the enclosure on a specific side and she knows which side means which. No tap training needed for her. Monty though needed tap training and has done well with it. Each one is different. I adjust to them. Also 2 foot tongs are a must.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    Yup prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

She will be getting the same training my other retic got. He gets handled everyday even if it was just to take him out of the enclosure for 30 seconds then put him right back in. None of mine are hook trained, I just reach in and pick them up. They also don't get to see their food coming to build up the food response. I normally remove the animal from the enclosure and place them where they cant see. Them food goes in, followed by the snake. To them the food magically appears and I'm not viewed as the bringer of food. My male retic recently had to go to the vet and the doctor could tell right away how much he had been handled.

• 10-12-2018, 02:31 PM
    Snakeboyaz
    That's a good size. I'd think that the d/sd animals have been around long enough now that the good breeeders should have a pretty good idea of adult sizes. Like you said though, there's no guarantee. I was using the hook every time I got them out or went into the cage until I watched garrets video on tap training recently. Now I just make sure they're aware of me so I don't startle them and reach in. My male is extremely food drivin though and sometimes I still have to tap him with the hook then he's all good. Kind of forces you to have to read the animal better which I like.