Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,165

2 members and 3,163 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 06-26-2022, 11:24 PM
    Bogertophis
    It's up to you if you want another fecal done. I really don't know what to tell you at this point- & if I get any great ideas for a non-toxic substance that would taste bad on her tail, I'll let you know- I'm sure there must be something that would be a turn-off? Do you grow tomatoes, by any chance? I do, & when I touch the leaves or stems, I get the strong scent of green tomato plants on my skin- something like that might work? I don't think it would be harmful, or wash off easily, & hopefully might be a deterrent. All you can do is try- good luck!

As far as her having a calm food drive before this- maybe that's because she's been fed rodents & she truly prefers snake, or at least something other than what she's been eating? :O But if that was the case, even if you fed her "feeder snakes" it probably wouldn't stop her "tail fixation". :confusd: Goofy snake. I've had a couple of MBKs in the past, never had this problem with them- but that was a long time ago- & since then, they've been breeding them for a more perfect jet black appearance (mine were not so perfect)- so perhaps they've also retained traits that would not have survived in the wild. That's the problem with breeding so many for the pet trade- we help them along, breeders are chosen for appearance, & none are weeded out as they are in the wild. If you bought yours from a breeder, have you tried talking with them?
  • 06-27-2022, 12:58 PM
    Bogertophis
    Actually, just to clarify- it's not so much that something you apply to her tail has to "taste bad" but just so long as it distracts her & keeps her from thinking "can I eat this?" ;) Green tomato leaves/stems are fairly pungent & as far as I can tell, smell nothing like anything a king snake would eat. There may be other substances too, anyone have any other ideas?
  • 07-28-2022, 05:01 PM
    aurum
    I just got back from my trip, and from what my parents have observed she's been acting normal, although today I already saw her try to bite herself a couple times while I was cleaning her tank. No latching on like before, but it seems like this behavior might not be something that just goes away. I also did end up making an appointment with the vet. Even if they don't have any answers, I want them to check on the scent glands she was having a problem with before because I'm wondering if they might've gotten inflamed again and that's what's hurting her?

Bogertophis, the green tomato plants sound like a great idea, but unfortunately we don't grow any vegetables ourselves. Hopefully the veterycin can work somewhat as a deterrent. Having a breeder to talk to would probably help as well, but I bought her from an expo and didn't end up getting the seller's contact info, so I'm out of luck there. Something to learn from if I ever buy from expos again.
    (Also I don't know if you were under the impression that she is an MBK, but she is a speckled kingsnake ;))
  • 07-28-2022, 05:34 PM
    Bogertophis
    Re: Small amount of blood after defecating
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    I just got back from my trip, and from what my parents have observed she's been acting normal, although today I already saw her try to bite herself a couple times while I was cleaning her tank. No latching on like before, but it seems like this behavior might not be something that just goes away. I also did end up making an appointment with the vet. Even if they don't have any answers, I want them to check on the scent glands she was having a problem with before because I'm wondering if they might've gotten inflamed again and that's what's hurting her?

Bogertophis, the green tomato plants sound like a great idea, but unfortunately we don't grow any vegetables ourselves. Hopefully the veterycin can work somewhat as a deterrent. Having a breeder to talk to would probably help as well, but I bought her from an expo and didn't end up getting the seller's contact info, so I'm out of luck there. Something to learn from if I ever buy from expos again.
    (Also I don't know if you were under the impression that she is an MBK, but she is a speckled kingsnake ;))

Oh sorry, I was under the impression that she's an MBK- maybe I confused with another thread, but it doesn't matter in terms of care & advice, not one bit. Ask your vet what you might safely use topically that would be a taste "turn-off".
    Or post a free ad, or ask around, or go to a farmer's market- for someone who grows tomatoes to share a piece of stem they don't need- hey, if you were closer...https://fonts.gstatic.com/s/e/notoem...0/1f345/72.png