Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,417

2 members and 3,415 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 02-04-2020, 09:55 AM
    Skyrivers
    Re: I've been saying this for a long time.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    That's huge. Cant wait to see it.

There will be a build out thread soon.
  • 02-05-2020, 12:28 AM
    CALM Pythons
    Great Thread [emoji1362][emoji216]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 02-05-2020, 01:55 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    ...I have to wonder if the reason they like being near water is because they enjoy water or is it since they are food motivated, the water draws in other animals which could potentially be eaten?

I don't know the definitive answer but from the video it appeared they are more than comfortable escaping in water, & it wouldn't surprise me if they catch a few fish too.
    But you're right, waiting by the local water hole is a great way to catch all sorts of prey when they come to drink. It's a winning strategy for sure.
  • 02-05-2020, 05:42 AM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's an excellent video...I truly hope anyone considering keeping one of these (or anyone who already is) will incorporate all the suggestions he made. I find it
    really sad to see ppl who cannot resist buying such a snake & are then unable to provide an optimal enclosure of the size & height recommended, also with a serious
    water feature. I guess this is why I think most of these beautiful captive giants belong in a zoo where they can be afforded a room-size habitat...I know some keepers
    can manage this kind of set-up, but not most. Nice to see some really lean retics too, the way they should be.

Retics aren't the only snakes that dig being in the trees, & if retics are too big for you, or impractical for your budget, how about a nice rat snake? One that gets
    about 6-7' (or even 9-10') is much easier to provide for & manage, & a good many rat snakes love the tree branches too. ;) Arboreal snakes are fun to watch.

Yeah , my Rhino-nose Ratsnake spent about 80% in the branches and 20% underwater ( for some reason had preferred to eat UNDERWATER !)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c37793e70e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...54e643f06e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...5a7cace20b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 02-05-2020, 10:19 PM
    wnateg
  • 02-05-2020, 10:44 PM
    wnateg
  • 02-13-2020, 11:40 PM
    bhsurf4
    I’ve provided all my snakes a big water dish or tray so they can soak if they want. That being said, I have never seen one in the water. I don’t know if I’ve just got a bunch of snakes that don’t like to soak or what. I read before I even got my first that I should provide a water dish big enough for them to soak if they want to. Ten snakes and several years later and I have yet to catch any of mine doing it. A couple of mine sure like to try to tip them over or push as much substrate into them as possible, but soaking, not so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk