Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,147

2 members and 3,145 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Please help

Printable View

• 01-08-2012, 09:44 PM
    Cupid
    Please help
    I'm frantic. My ball python has been loose for nearly two weeks.. and I found her today, by closing the bathroom door on her head.

She's still alive, but is in obvious pain. I didn't see her there until I turned around to lock the door. The door got her right after her eyes, so her muzzle/nose/jaw was crushed. She's making a popping sound when she breathes.

I have NO WAY to get her to a vet until the morning. Should I just euthanize her now?? Is there anyway she can come back from this?? Please help me.
  • 01-08-2012, 09:52 PM
    heathers*bps
    Pictures I believe will help a lot.

I'm so sorry this happened, and I hope everything will be ok with her :(
  • 01-08-2012, 09:56 PM
    The Serpent Merchant
    I second pictures. We really can't make an informed decision without seeing the snake.
  • 01-08-2012, 09:59 PM
    Cupid
    I will get photos. Give me a few minutes. :(:(:(
  • 01-08-2012, 10:12 PM
    Cupid
    She's very jerky, but I tried to get decent photos. You can see where the door closed on her...

I tired to get a video of when she breathes, but It didnt come out well, and I didnt want to stress her out more.

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/p...snakehurt1.jpg
    http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/p...snakehelp3.jpg
    http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/p...akehelp2-1.jpg
  • 01-08-2012, 10:16 PM
    Skittles1101
    Poor baby!! :tears::tears::tears:

Is that stuck shed on the nose, or is that crushed from the door? :tears:
  • 01-08-2012, 10:16 PM
    RobNJ
    Re: Please help
    Tough to tell by those pictures...I would get it to a vet tomorrow and discuss the best route to take.
  • 01-08-2012, 10:18 PM
    Annarose15
    I would just get her to a vet in the morning. She isn't bleeding, and you won't know what is or isn't broken without an x-ray. I know you don't want her to suffer, but I'd hate for you to put her down without really knowing what the damage is. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • 01-08-2012, 10:19 PM
    Cupid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LGray23 View Post
    Poor baby!! :tears::tears::tears:

Is that stuck shed on the nose, or is that crushed from the door? :tears:

That's where the door got her. :(

I know she's in pain, but I just don't know what to do!! I hate to make her wait until tomorrow morning!
  • 01-08-2012, 10:20 PM
    wolfy-hound
    If she is showing obvious signs of distress(writhing and flipping over onto her back, for instance) and you can euthanize in a method that will not cause more distress, then it might be best.

It's difficult to help make the decision when we aren't watching the snake. if the door closed on her hard enough, she may have broken bones. Snakes have a lot of flexibility, so maybe she's just badly bruised up. That would probably take an Xray to determine, but then, most vets probably can't do surgery to pin bones as tiny as a snake's facial bones would be.. so again, it's going to be a difficult decision.

Good luck, and I'll be thinking good thoughts for a positive outcome.