Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,722

0 members and 2,722 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
  • 10-13-2019, 08:13 PM
    Kroberts10
    Odd question- about hides and winter temperature
    I have my rat rack in an unheated part of the house, and I generally keep the house pretty cool as is. I do plan to put an oil filled heater in the room with them, but I’m unsure it it’ll keep the rats quite at a comfortable temperatures. I’m sure it won’t hurt but I was thinking that a plastic hide in the bins would allow their body heat to stay in a confined area and help keep them warm with the help of the heater.
    Am I over thinking, or would this be a reasonable idea? At very least I don’t see it hurting much and may help them feel even more secure.

Thanks,
    Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 10-13-2019, 09:27 PM
    303_enfield
    What is the min temp during the winter? I use a Frost King temp plug. If it gets below 48 f it comes on, room stays above 55 all winter.

I should say rats will do fine in the cold except breeding will suffer. Now, if its ASF, you'll need more heat.
  • 10-13-2019, 09:30 PM
    Kroberts10
    Re: Odd question- about hides and winter temperature
    This is only my second winter in this house so I’m not sure if exact numbers. But last winter it never got to a freezing temperature in there. But it was definitely in t he low 40s or lower. The room is insulated just doesn’t have its own heat source. It’s essentially the mudroom.

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk