Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,406

2 members and 3,404 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 11-11-2010, 06:09 PM
    grits
    Re: Largest snake that you can safely handle alone
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
    Wow shes huge, how big is she? gotta be over 12 foot right

Its hard as hell to get a good measurement. In the grass where i cant keep her straight I get 13' 9". When she follows something straight like a wall I get 14' 3". She weighed 125 pounds last month and she is 22" in circumference. My 7 year old daughter, at her shoulders, is 21". :D
  • 11-15-2010, 01:45 AM
    Mallory
    I agree with what everybody said about the type of snake. I think it also depends on how big you are, too. I'm pretty tiny, so a large boa or python could overpower me, but a beauty snake like Lupe has would be ok for me. By the way Lupe, I'm jealous. I LOVE beauty snakes.
  • 06-13-2016, 10:03 AM
    blue roses
    My limit is 6 to 7 ft. I'm older and not as agile as i used to be, so that is my limit. My BPs are big enough for me.
  • 07-21-2017, 10:55 AM
    todd_v
    Re: Largest snake that you can safely handle alone
    10 feet plus. That's for me as an adult and someone with plenty of experience in the handling of large snakes. Also I keep several large boas, females with weights anywhere from 25lbs to approximately 50lbs.And hey, even at those weights, they are very respectable and quite heavy and could certainly get you into trouble pretty damn quickly. I've handled and kept very large burms and retics (up into the100 plus range) and especially if docile, never experienced any issue. NEVER forget all herps are wild and must always be handled safely and for really large ones, it never hurts to play it safe and have another person as back up. Thanks.
  • 07-21-2017, 01:49 PM
    MasonC2K
    Todd_v casts Thread Resurrection.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...necromancy.png

Skill is the Dark Arts has increased by 5 points.
  • 07-31-2017, 01:52 AM
    cynthiarose
    your snake
    I had a 10ft red tail boa I handled alone many many times when I was a lot younger, I feel that it is a personal preference on what you go by. I would definitely make sure that you do trust the snake if it is a larger one, before you do handle it alone. The female I had, never bit any one all her life except for the lively rabbits that she claimed as dinner.

If you feel uncomfortable working with a snake of any size alone I advise making sure someone else is there, snakes can pick up on your uneasiness and sometimes it can and will make the snake more agitated and irritable. Even the most docile snake can ball up and go into "defense mode" if it starts to feel uncomfortable at all.

I wish you luck on handling any large pets that you have or get!
  • 07-31-2017, 08:05 PM
    DLena
    Right now the largest I've got is a female Dumerils, 7 feet and around 25 pounds? I'm growing out a few boa constrictors, a couple 25%SDs, and a full dwarf F2. I'm actually going to the gym and getting into shape. I kid you not.