Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,387

1 members and 3,386 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
  • 03-09-2020, 07:42 PM
    maausen
    Suggestions for health and safety of my animal
    Hey guys! I’ll keep this short. I recently became a personal care assistant for a young boy and the family has a bearded dragon. I do not know the history of health of the animal and want suggestions for how to ensure my guys safety at home. I do not plan to ever hold the animal. Is there a chance to bring disease home with me still? If so, how would you go about this?
  • 03-09-2020, 07:52 PM
    Bogertophis
    Mostly good hand-washing (since you aren't going to handle it) you & yours should be fine, IMO. Beardies can harbor snake mites, but keeping your distance should work.
    You might ask where they handle the beardie when they take it out & hold it, & if a specific area, avoid that area also. I'd encourage them to look carefully to be sure theirs is not harboring mites (& to treat for them if it is); I'm sure there's various pathogens that a beardie might also share, but like I said, good hand-washing, & maybe a shower & clothing change when you come home, to be sure.
  • 03-09-2020, 08:07 PM
    dakski
    Re: Suggestions for health and safety of my animal
    Yes, as Bogertophis said, hand washing, and potentially changing clothing as well.

The biggest concern with the clothes, is bringing mites home. However, not very likely.

If you are concerned enough to make this post, I would probably change clothes and wash hands. However, beyond that, I wouldn't worry too much.
  • 03-09-2020, 08:45 PM
    maausen
    Re: Suggestions for health and safety of my animal
    Aww thanks guys! Super helpful. I will follow these simple ideas to ensure his safety. Appreciate you both!