Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,123

2 members and 3,121 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 06-12-2008, 09:04 PM
    spaceturtle
    POLL: Have you been bit by a BP?
    Simple quesiton. Have you ever been bit by a captive ball python?

I'm just curious how often it is. I see people talking about it on these forums but I've never seen it happen in person. My sister in law has had one for over 10 years and it's been handled by dozens of people without ever biting a single person.

I just got me a young fella and he hasn't tried to bite me yet.
  • 06-12-2008, 09:05 PM
    N4S
    Re: POLL: Have you been bit by a BP?
    You shoulda posted a poll. :cool:
  • 06-12-2008, 09:07 PM
    spaceturtle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N4S View Post
    You shoulda posted a poll. :cool:

It's there!
  • 06-12-2008, 09:13 PM
    West Coast Jungle
    Babies are most likely to bite as a self defense mechanism.
    With that in mind I have bred and handled many babies and have been tagged a time or two(ok maybe more than that:D).

I brought some babies to the vet today for a health exam for shipping abroad and one tried tagging both of us several times, good fun.
  • 06-12-2008, 09:27 PM
    ViciousBliss
    fantastic and interesting poll
  • 06-12-2008, 09:46 PM
    Seneschal
    XD I've gotten tagged by one baby and 2 adults. The baby was just pissy, one adult was hungry and I conveniently smelled of rats, and the other adult comes out of her box at feeding time and goes for my face...she got my arm.

As far as bites go, I'd rather all my snakes bite me all at once than one rat get me. :rolleyes: The ball bites make you bleed a wee bit and feel like a flick....Rat bites need stitches! *points to nice shiny scar on hand from angreh mommy rat*
  • 06-12-2008, 09:59 PM
    the_Ryno
    Never been bit, but I do see it in my near future see as how I currently only have one BP and looking to expand to 6 or so by the end of the year.
  • 06-12-2008, 10:03 PM
    ChicaPiton519
    Never been bit,
    but boy have i dodged the bullet on that one...
    im hoping to get a couple more baby girls this year, so its quite possible that it will happen....

my bite record shows corns, rats, racers, burms[babies], a carpet at a pet shop, rainbow boa[6ft], red tail[baby], and tons of other random things that i have held.... im sure there is more, but yeah... lol but no balls yet =]
  • 06-12-2008, 10:09 PM
    python.princess
    I've been bitten by hatchlings and didn't feel a thing. Sub-adults sting a little for a second but that's about it. Never been bitten by an adult though... Tanks a pretty mellow guy! :D
  • 06-12-2008, 10:11 PM
    LadyOhh
    I've been bit more times that I can remember...
  • 06-12-2008, 10:16 PM
    Nick
    not tryna take over the thread but anyone wanna post pics?
  • 06-12-2008, 10:22 PM
    STORMS
    My male BP strikes at me a lot he's hit my arm and hand numerous times but it's more like he's warning me with a tap. His mouth has never been open :D
  • 06-12-2008, 11:43 PM
    Mike Cavanaugh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    not tryna take over the thread but anyone wanna post pics?

very rarely do you actually get injured from it. Usually it just startles the crap out of you. The few times I have bled, it was a scratch at most.

Mike
  • 06-13-2008, 12:01 AM
    Somed00d
    I have a male that didn't eat for months and I was getting careless trying to feed him. actually I was trying to tap his nose lol. I was holding the rat with hemostats but as soon as my finger got close bam he got me good.. Lots of blood but very little pain.
  • 06-13-2008, 12:23 AM
    boafa
    I've been bit twice by hatchlings while popping them. First by a pied and last by a lesser.
  • 06-13-2008, 12:31 AM
    ChicaPiton519
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boafa View Post
    I've been bit twice by hatchlings while popping them. First by a pied and last by a lesser.

i wouldnt mind being bit by a pied or a lesser lol
  • 06-13-2008, 02:11 AM
    FIEND_FO_LYFE
    never been bitten by any of ours....
    just hissed at alot, and a lot of puffing up
  • 06-13-2008, 02:38 AM
    Venenito_X_Remedito
    I haven't actually been bit yet... Veneno has struck at me more times than I can count, but he's either missed or struck a glove. Without the gloves I'd have been bitten though!
    He's getting better though :]...
  • 06-13-2008, 02:52 AM
    Zinger333
    Yeah I've been bit a few times. of course every time it was my fault. should have washed me hands after handling their food.
  • 06-13-2008, 03:27 AM
    FIEND_FO_LYFE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Venenito_X_Remedito View Post
    I haven't actually been bit yet... Veneno has struck at me more times than I can count, but he's either missed or struck a glove. Without the gloves I'd have been bitten though!
    He's getting better though :]...

gloves?
    WUSS!
    haha i mean, noone wants to be bit but, they will get use toyour hand...
  • 06-13-2008, 04:08 AM
    Bruce Whitehead
    Been tagged once and hissed at alot (by the same BP). Also have a milksnake that used to latch onto the end of my finger and chew like she was nursing blood... which actually she was.

Never had one bite and constrict, but this BP was defensive biting, definitely handler error on my part.

Bruce
  • 06-13-2008, 04:19 AM
    spix14
    I used to work in a pet shop so yea...I've been bitten quite a few times. Just by babies though. Actually the worst injury I ever got from a BP bite was when my co worker saw the baby about to take a snap at me and gallantly tried to yank me out of the way, smacking my head on the cage door. Once I quit laughing I told him I'd have rather been bit, LOL.
  • 06-13-2008, 08:08 AM
    fishmommy
    I put my hand too close while feeding, so it was an accident and all my fault. my BP has never hissed or struck at me on purpose.
  • 06-13-2008, 09:39 AM
    dacalio
    Ive been tagged maybe 10 or so times by the balls, not bad condsidering I have a moderate sized collection ( greater than 1 but less than 100.) :D

Although I have to say never have I been bit by a ball I have owned for more than a year.

A couple of times I was "gummed" by them. They strike open their mouth but no teeth. Kinda weird... anyone else experience this?
  • 06-13-2008, 09:44 AM
    Spaniard
    6 Snakes, almost 4 years, No bites :)
  • 06-13-2008, 11:46 AM
    Bundu Boy
    Not yet

But I picked up my 3rd BP today so the odds are increasing!

The closest I came was when I got my first BP, Samson. The day I got him I was faffing around inside his cage moving moss around etc, and I got a little close to the opening of his hide and he zapped out at me. He did not get close but she scared the begeezers outta me on the account of him being so quick....

Since then nothing, a couple of hissing fits but that's about it:gj:
  • 06-13-2008, 12:14 PM
    Drew87
    Yes, its part of owning snakes
    i think im around 7-10, each snake has there bad days, shed, hungry, or just pissy :D
  • 06-13-2008, 03:22 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Let’s put it this way I have a bite me sign on my forehead. :rolleyes:
  • 06-13-2008, 03:45 PM
    STORMS
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Let’s put it this way I have a bite me sign on my forehead. :rolleyes:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...s/biteicon.jpg

;):rofl::rofl::rofl:
  • 06-13-2008, 03:51 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lenastorms View Post

:8: In that kind of case I am the who bites :O ;)
  • 06-13-2008, 04:15 PM
    snakelady
    Once, by my youngest BP. It was at night and I guess she was hungry. ;) She pulled back right away. It didn't hurt at all.
    Just surprised me.
  • 06-13-2008, 04:18 PM
    allmote
    Ball python bites are like kisses compared to taking mama beast boa away from her puppys. I couldnt imagine all those breeders with the really big mamas and do it year round pulling teeth out of my leg is only cool like once a year.

Dont buy the snake if you cant cash the check when he deposits it you wont hold it ever agian. I have had 2 people buy boas and bring them back after 3 years of being good just because they got lit up once. Ball pythons are different they act more like cats a bite is like a scratch from a house cat and same purpose intended when either one "scratches" you it means "back up biggin im strapped".
  • 06-13-2008, 04:48 PM
    ChicaPiton519
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allmote View Post
    Dont buy the snake if you cant cash the check when he deposits it you wont hold it ever agian. I have had 2 people buy boas and bring them back after 3 years of being good just because they got lit up once.

i have to admit, when the BRB bit me, it caused me to be a little more cautious and listen to her more, if she hisses, leave her alone, or go slower lol.
    it knocked down my confidence a little tho, but i know that she knows when im tensing up lol... she tenses up double time... so i have to totally chill when im holding her
  • 06-13-2008, 04:53 PM
    Kristy
    I have been bit a lot. My adult male gets in this ravenous feeding mode every couple months (not saying he eats every couple of months) he just goes through a period where he becomes a super aggressive feeder and there is NO stopping him. Then he snaps out of it and is fine again. Always been like that.

He has bitten me many times. Still better than getting bit by any rodent any day!
  • 06-13-2008, 09:43 PM
    lindsey crashed
    right on the nose... totally my fault.
  • 06-15-2008, 03:31 AM
    abhorrent
    So far the only time she's tried to bite me is when I was putting her in a bag to bring her home the first day. Five days after that and she's barely recoiled towards me.

Though be it, I've only had her since February.
  • 06-15-2008, 01:03 PM
    captin_crash
    I just got a ball yesterday (a friend left the country in a hurry, family issues) its only 2 months old and im a bit nervous about handling her, I've handled much bigger snakes than her but i knew they were "tame". Basically im asking how much does it hurt when you get tagged, how often it might happen and does anyone have any advice to help me get over this "fear"?
  • 06-15-2008, 08:51 PM
    spk329
    Only once....... I was feeding my snakes and my male Ghost got me the second I opened his tub. My other hand was on top of his tub.
    Guess he was real hungry :) It was my fault 4sure. Now I keep my hands lower and pay attention :)
  • 06-15-2008, 10:45 PM
    1Mojo
    I got a new BP in 9 days ago, she is an 06 and I think she wants to eat my face!!!!!! She has eaten twice so far, looks like i'll try in another few days but I know she's gonna rail my A@# sooner or later, probly sooner though.

But to the question at hand, I have been biten a few times.
  • 06-16-2008, 12:13 PM
    Freakie_frog
    Hmmmmm

Lets see have I been bit yes..I hate the getting bit part but don't mind a biter. I've learned how to deal with them and also figured out that biter eat so thats a Plus for me.

I've been bit by every thing from babys to 3000 gram girls (they suck the worst)
  • 06-22-2008, 05:12 PM
    blackcrystal22
    No, neither of my snakes have bitten me.

I've only been bitten once by my first corn snake (that died in the vets office) and that was cause he was sick and stressed. :[

The first day I had my ball he bit at a few things but never at me really.
  • 06-22-2008, 06:58 PM
    tippmann
    never been acutally bitten by my either of my 2 balls, but when i was handling my friends 4 foot long burm it bit me 3 times
  • 06-24-2008, 09:59 PM
    Schlyne
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
    The other adult comes out of her box at feeding time and goes for my face...she got my arm.

I had this happen with my adult male normal.I think it was a normal feeding night, but I was cleaning cages and planning on feeding everybody the next day. I eventually got tagged after he missed my face and I was in the middle of weighing everybody. If I'd left him alone after the first attempt, I wouldn't have been bit.

As for the first bite, it was a defensive bite from my ball normal as a baby. I went to move a bottlecap before he slithered over it and apparently my hand came in to fast at his head.

I think I've gotten tagged by other baby balls.

The more memorable bites were from a carpet python and a variable kingsnake. It's really funny when the snake that bites you is thinner than your pinky. :rofl: (And it doesn't hurt at all.)
  • 06-24-2008, 11:56 PM
    McAdry
    yes quite a few times but it hand been long enough to think somthing might have changed. lol
  • 06-25-2008, 01:23 AM
    Cam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by captin_crash View Post
    I just got a ball yesterday (a friend left the country in a hurry, family issues) its only 2 months old and im a bit nervous about handling her, I've handled much bigger snakes than her but i knew they were "tame". Basically im asking how much does it hurt when you get tagged, how often it might happen and does anyone have any advice to help me get over this "fear"?

I can tell you the surprise is the worst part...that and having your confidence trashed. The bite of a 3 week old BP broke the skin in 4 places...teeth holes...bled...but the next morning could not tell at all what had happened.

Any ideas anyone has on how to work with these guys on being so head shy is VERY appreciated.

I think wearing gloves is the ticket for me for a while...

Can anyone comment on if they are a biter to start are they a biter forever and visa versa?
    Does tha fact that this guy was fed live make them more of a biter?
  • 06-25-2008, 01:26 AM
    Mike Schultz
    I got bitten by one of the "captive hatched" BP's at the petsmart i work at. :P
  • 06-27-2008, 03:46 PM
    blackcrystal22
    Is it bad that when my BP bit me it didn't bleed, hurt, or even leave a mark? D:

I mean, I was moving the thermostat probe and was kinda invading his hide (I was trying not to disturb him so I didn't take him out of it) and he kinda tried to bite at me.
    But there was no blood or anything. I'm confused..
  • 06-27-2008, 04:25 PM
    Koiscale451
    I've never been bit, but I know it's coming.... :wierdface
  • 06-27-2008, 04:37 PM
    Mike Schultz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Is it bad that when my BP bit me it didn't bleed, hurt, or even leave a mark? D:

I mean, I was moving the thermostat probe and was kinda invading his hide (I was trying not to disturb him so I didn't take him out of it) and he kinda tried to bite at me.

Sometimes they just give a warning "strike" without really biting you. The babies i worked with did that a lot.
  • 06-27-2008, 04:40 PM
    Cam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post

If he felt like he made contact perhaps he just had a closed mouth 'strike'.
    If you are concerned he has no teeth or something along that line...I would not be too concerned...if he's eating etc.