Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,217

2 members and 3,215 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Florida King

Printable View

• 10-16-2017, 10:31 PM
    Sunnieskys
    Florida King
    So I have a Florida King stripe at work. He is super chill and we hang out all the time. He has a perfect omega symbol on his head. Like no joke, omega symbol. I'm thinking about taking him home. There really are not any stickies on Florida kings? Anything I absolutely need to know? I have all the equipment. It I don't know the correct husbandry. So before I decide I need to know the nitty gritty and set it all up first.

oh and my hubby is going to kill me lol
  • 10-17-2017, 12:40 AM
    John1982
    Keep like you might most terrestrial NA colubrids. Temp ranges from low 70s to low 80s. They're more arboreal as youngsters but older animals can and will take to the trees too. The most common mistake is probably overfeeding. They will pretty much eat anything, anytime.
  • 10-17-2017, 12:43 AM
    Sunnieskys
    He gets a fuzzy now and yes...if I let him he would keep eating. He doesn't climb the plant, in fact he burrows in the substrate. What about humidity? Do I need a hot hide and cool hide like my ball?
  • 10-17-2017, 08:24 AM
    Albert Clark
    Re: Florida King
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    He gets a fuzzy now and yes...if I let him he would keep eating. He doesn't climb the plant, in fact he burrows in the substrate. What about humidity? Do I need a hot hide and cool hide like my ball?

I would think offering Florida kingsnakes a microclimate is the way to go. Think about the Florida temperatures and how they thrive there. Colubrids in general need a kind of moist area to go to (not wet) but definitely not overly dry. I keep garter snakes and mountain kingsnakes and they all get varying degrees but not overly dry areas either.
  • 10-17-2017, 08:46 AM
    Craiga 01453
    I personally think you can't go wrong with a King. I LOVE my boy, Django. I've kept Kings for years and absolutely LOVE the species. Husbandry is more forgiving and easier to achieve than BPs, so you will do fine.
  • 10-17-2017, 12:17 PM
    Sunnieskys
    Uva or uvb at all? And what cage for an adult. Boople will be in a t10 eventually.
  • 10-18-2017, 07:50 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Uva or uvb at all? And what cage for an adult. Boople will be in a t10 eventually.

Sorry for delayed reply, been logging some crazy hours at work the last few weeks...

No light requirements.

My boy, Django, is in a 40 breeder. He's and adult a little over 4 feet and about 676 grams. Some say a 30 gallon is fine for an adult, but I personally couldn't imagine putting Django in a 30, he uses EVERY inch of his 40.
  • 10-18-2017, 08:34 PM
    Jhill001
    Quote:

Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Sorry for delayed reply, been logging some crazy hours at work the last few weeks...

No light requirements.

My boy, Django, is in a 40 breeder. He's and adult a little over 4 feet and about 676 grams. Some say a 30 gallon is fine for an adult, but I personally couldn't imagine putting Django in a 30, he uses EVERY inch of his 40.

They don't require the lights but if you decide to use plants or just want a naturally decorated enclosure the lights will look great.
  • 10-18-2017, 09:02 PM
    Sunnieskys
    Ok so 40 breeder,

uth with thermostat. What do I set the stat at?

i use reptile prime is that ok?

plants and foliage to climb.

how many hides?

i don't need a light for a hot spot.

humidity needs to be? I'm assuming humid since you know Florida lol.

anything else?

Thanks for everyone's help.
  • 10-19-2017, 11:23 PM
    Regius_049
    Quote:

Ok so 40 breeder,

If you can, I would really try for another T-10 or 4' equivalent. Kingsnakes are pretty active and Florida kingsnakes are one of the larger species.

Quote:

uth with thermostat. What do I set the stat at?

I typically use 85F, but you could probably go 90 F. It is just a hot spot so hey can move at their leisure.

Quote:

i use reptile prime is that ok?

It should be fine. Kingsnakes in particular seem to like to bury themselves a little bit in substrate.

Quote:

how many hides?

Interestingly, given the above, my kingsnakes seldom seem to use dedicated hides. I have given them a variety and they are almost never used. I would go with a deeper substrate and lots of "clutter", but a hide on the warm and cool side would probably be nice.

Quote:

humidity needs to be? I'm assuming humid since you know Florida lol.

Humidity is not critical. I suspect with reptile prime, you'll have relatively high humidity anyhow.