Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,269

1 members and 3,268 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Green Anole

Printable View

• 02-25-2020, 06:55 AM
    Damien79
    Green Anole
    I ran across a coworker who has a green anole for sale. He wants $50 for the anole and the terrarium. When he sent me pics the little anole doesnt look healthy at all. I'm thinking about buying everything if for only getting the green anole healthy. I've had an iguana years ago but never nothing like this. How are they when it comes to care and husbandry? Thanks in advance for any replies.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...psejf3onz0.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...psc7ox1exs.jpg
  • 02-25-2020, 11:25 AM
    wnateg
    I don't know anything about anoles, but he looks on the edge to me. But that's a pretty nice terrarium, so $50 ain't too bad, assuming you'll feel okay if his rehabilitation doesn't go your way.
  • 02-25-2020, 11:32 AM
    TopazEye
    Re: Green Anole
    ^^ Seconding that. He's a bit rough looking (Well, more than a bit). If your up for it though I say go for it
  • 02-25-2020, 01:13 PM
    Jaime_ls3
    Poor little guy... if I didnt already have a leopard gecko and water dragon I wouldn't mind 50 bucks to try to save the little anole and get the enclosure

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
  • 02-25-2020, 01:15 PM
    Cheesenugget
    I have a friend who kept anoles for awhile. Almost all anoles are wild caught and we got plenty right outside our homes. They are known to be flighty and more of a display pet. The fact that you can even hold it may mean it is not doing well, plus it looks incredibly skinny. If you want to rescue it, you will need to take it to the vet and get it dewormed, check how old is the UVB light and what kind. UVB light should be replaced at least every 6 months, and with a mesh lid, if it has developed MBD, you will need stronger lights to penetrate that mesh lid. More than likely it is lack of proper heating, no calcium supplements with D3, bad UVB lighting, plus the stress of captivity. Most WC anoles are adaptable and can handle captive life well if they are healthy to begin with and husbandry is on point.

I would never pay $50 for a healthy anole, much less a sick one. If you want to try and save that lizard, expect to pay for a lot more like I mentioned above. Even for the tank itself, I have seen them sold for $30-40 on personal ads as used. Anoles needed a lot more space than that tank to thrive, so even if you were to get another one in the future, a 29gallon tall would be a better choice.
  • 02-25-2020, 01:47 PM
    Damien79
    Even though I've never dealt with any ankles before I figure between the advice here and a good effort he will be better off with me. Thanks to everyone for the replies.
  • 02-26-2020, 08:14 PM
    John1982
    The lizard pictured is already dead.
  • 02-27-2020, 08:56 PM
    Southpaw91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    The lizard pictured is already dead.

i was gonna say....
  • 02-28-2020, 07:21 AM
    Damien79
    That’s what I initially thought but he is very much alive. I decided not to get him because I don’t have the experience of nursing sick animals. I hate to seem any animal like that. Btw that’s the pics that the seller sent to me. He said he’s perfectly fine and says great. Idk